Truth in Photoshopping

Or they would simply search for genuine skinny models and prefer them => once again promoting the same exact message. Except this time they won't settle with photoshopping the photos, now they would effectively force models to appear the way they want.

They already covered that - from the same article "In 2015, it passed a law aimed at banning the hiring of models deemed "excessively thin," reports The Fashion Law. Models who want to work in the country must get a doctor's note affirming a healthy body mass index. Italy, Spain and Israel have passed similar legislation."

if its anything like doctors here in the US, people will just check doctors until they find one willing to give them what they want.
if you can pay in cash and they dont have to bother with insurance, many doctors here will pretty much give you a very wide berth on what they will prescribe.

Adults who know better are not the target audience for these advertisements.
I really wish I could find the article I read several years ago that went into detail with how brands specifically attempt to hook children so that when they grow up, they have brand loyalty. It was from the perspective of clothing designers, but it really could be relative to any company.

Advertisers apparently spend $12 billion (let me rephrase that, $12,000,000,000) annually, and children view around 40,000 commercials every year (reference).

From same reference, interesting quote: "Several studies, for example, have found that parent–child conflicts occur commonly when parents deny their children's product purchase requests that were precipitated by advertising."

(If you've already quoted this, sorry!)

Thursday night turn on Lifetime and take a look at Project Runway. Things are changing, this type thing might be a step along the way and maybe there will more and better changes down the road.

Maybe, but something I read the other day, makes me wonder if it's the model's that are changing. If you look at the "ideal" female figure over the last 100 years, except for the Twiggy years, models have for the most part looked healthy. However if you look at the CDC, BMI for women in this country, it has increased from 24.9 in 1960 to 26.5 present day. (Rehabs.com) data claims that in 1975 there was only about an 8% difference in total body weight between the average female and the average model, but today that spread has increased to 23% difference. So yes while there's a substantial difference in the weights of the models and the average woman, there's also been a substantial difference in the weight of the average woman. A BMI of 26.5 puts the average woman at slightly overweight. So I have to wonder who's actually changing the most?

Thursday night turn on Lifetime and take a look at Project Runway. Things are changing, this type thing might be a step along the way and maybe there will more and better changes down the road.

Maybe, but something I read the other day, makes me wonder if it's the model's that are changing. If you look at the "ideal" female figure over the last 100 years, except for the Twiggy years, models have for the most part looked healthy. (Rehabs.com) data claims that in 1975 there was only about an 8% difference in total body weight between the average female and the average model, but today that spread has increased to 23% difference. So yes while there's a substantial difference in the weights of the models and the average woman, there's also been a substantial difference in the weight of the average woman. A BMI of 26.5 puts the average woman at slightly overweight. So I have to wonder who's actually changing the most?

"However if you look at the CDC, BMI for women in this country, it has increased from 24.9 in 1960 to 26.5 present day."

That's a 6-7% difference between the average size. The same website reports that

"1975 there was only about an 8% difference in total body weight between the average female and the average model, but today that spread has increased to 23% difference."

That's a 15% difference.

The discrepancy is increasing faster that average size. That means the models are changing.

"Addiction and eating disorder recovery site Rehabs.com worked with digital marketing agency Fractl on a project looking at the origins of Body Mass Index (BMI) measurements, and how the bodies of ideal women have compared to national averages over time. And their findings show that models and movie stars are getting smaller than the average American woman at unprecedented rates."
It's Amazing How Much The 'Perfect Body' Has Changed In 100 Years | HuffPost

Why I mentioned Project Runway (for the second time I realized) was because this season they're using models of various sizes, which seems to be one effort to head in a positive direction.

(Braineack, you stopped watching because of the models? what about them? The producers made the plus size girl win?? You're a couple of seasons behind but I had to look it up to remember. That young woman and all the contestants were judged on the designs sent down the runway for the finale by, you know, the judges seated there... who apparently often have a lengthy discussion not seen on the show, and don't always pick what I would, but then I don't have a background in fashion to be an expert.)

It will be interesting to see how the French publications handle this over the next few months. There is an interesting article at Strategies.fr that mentions a need for Slow Photography - for good photographers with the equipment and time to set up to produce aesthetic images. The new law might create more demand for good photographers, but it will probably create a bigger demand for plastic surgeons.

I would think the publishing house lawyers want the the disclaimer placed on every single image.

France is a much more homogenous society where people actually trust their government. This makes it much easier to make social change. My first time there I asked a waiter for a non smoking table and he removed the ash tray. There was a problem with drink driving. Now, 20-30 years later smoking and DUI much reduced, due largely to education programs. Also, people don't get think that every regulation is somehow a violation of some sacred right to do as they please. Yes, generalizations.

It's a worthy goal. But I'm thinking that it's going to just add another bureaucratic mess to things. Would they then call lighting a model to make her look thinner, "retouching?"

The problem is just that summed up in the story; instead of taking ideals from role models, girls are looking to media, toys, and other corporate sources.

Barbie dolls are a perfect example. The best comment on that came from a feminist in LA:
"Apparently toy designers don't date very much."

I would think the publishing house lawyers want the the disclaimer placed on every single image.

Which would completely cancel any benefit the law might have. Such a disclaimer, if universally used, would be like "In God We Trust" on U.S. currency. When's the last time you thought about God when you looked at money?

Most reactions

Back