trying out my new alienbee

JimmyJaceyMom

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I haev a very daring client who let me play with my new light for her daughters third session with me. I must say I love my new alienbee!!!! I love the catchlights (when I get them in the right place!) and I love the ease of post processing! I literally hardly have to touch them, some cropping and sharpening to taste and I'm DONE! I had over 45 final images to show but I of course still have lots to learn about studio and will continue to try and improve. Here are a few.

1. the light is too harsh on her right side there. She was actually supposed to stand further back than this and wasn't cooperating but I couldn't pass up this look. With no time to move the light around and get it right I just shot it. Sometimes and expression makes the picture more than having everything technically correct. ;)

Last edited:
Awesome results!

Awesome results. Too bad she wasn't in the proper spot on #1 it is a really cute one and I love how her feet reflect.

well, it looks like it works, but they all feel just a tad hot for my tastes. just an opinion

great shots but yea the lighting is harsh.

I think they're beautiful. The lighting doesn't bother me at all! Great shots! My personal fave is the second shot! Those eyes are amazing, and I love the little bubbles around his mouth! If that doesn't say "baby", than nothing does!

Yea...the light does not bother me either...I think they are bright and happy. The way a child's picture are supposed to be. Great Shots!!!

Thanks everyone for the compliments and opinions. This was only the second try with these and I still have a lot of learning to do as far as placement and how strong the lights need to be and all that but for only my second try with them I was for the most part pleased with the turnout.

If anyone that has experience with studio lighting has tips for me please share! :)

I think they're beautiful. You learn quick, huh? What are you using for a backdrop on #1 and what is she standing on that reflects her feet so beautifully?

These are really nice. Are you just using one light and a reflector? You said "alien bee" so I wondered what your light setup is...

Looks like just one light. You can see the catch light in the eyes and it doesn't appear that there's any other light source being used. If there does happen to be a reflector in there being used, it's so far back and subtle that it's hard to see it's effects.

oh it took me a while to get back here!
Village Idiot - (i know thats your screen name but I feel bad calling you that! ;) ) I'm still bummed about the overexposure in the first. But what can you do with those little movers.

LaceyAnne - thanks. Well I made sure before I bought anything what I would need to have and how it would work. I love natural light but I didnt want to stay limited like that with weather not cooperating and whatnot. The first one I used a black sheet on a backdrop stand (20 bucks ebay) and its attached with safety pins. Then on the floro to hold the sheet down in place and it creates the reflection I have a peice of plexiglass that I bought at Lowe's for 50 bucks. I love the effect of it!

Lynnca - yes one light the brand is alienbee. It has a softbox attached to it. I love it! And a reflector is on the right side in the first one although she isnt in the right place so it didnt serve its purpose at all. In the other three I didn't use the reflector becasue when i did I was gettign a very flat lighting look and I wanted some dimension to the baby's face. If the session weren't half as hectic as it was I may have tried to fiddle with it to make it fill just a tiny bit of the right side but it was pretty crazy!

Village idiot - you are absolutely right. :)

Most reactions

Back