Nikkor 300mm f/4 AF-S ED...good lens...had one for a long time, sold it recently, now have my eye on, someday, the 300/4 AF-S VR-G PF (Phase Fresnel) from Nikon. Yeah, the 300/4 AF-S is a cracking lens--VERY portable, and it is a good performer as a 420mm f/5.6 when paired with one of the several models of Nikon-made 1.4x AF-S teleconverters of the past 20 or so years.

Speaking of a macro lens...the 300/4 AF-S works pretty well for fairly high-magnification close-up type shots with the Canon 500D 77mm two-element screw-in close-up lens OR with a 12mm to 20mm Autofocus-type extension tube. This is a good lens for things like snakes, butterflies, frogs, etc, where you want to get a big, fairly high-magnification image from close-up, but not uber-close!

Speaking of a macro lens...the 300/4 AF-S works pretty well for fairly high-magnification close-up type shots with the Canon 500D 77mm two-element screw-in close-up lens OR with a 12mm to 20mm Autofocus-type extension tube. This is a good lens for things like snakes, butterflies, frogs, etc, where you want to get a big, fairly high-magnification image from close-up, but not uber-close!

Thanks for the info Derrel!

Sent from my iPhone using ThePhotoForum.com mobile app

I would say the new lens is working well for you. Or perhaps you are working well with the new lens. Nicely done.

I would say the new lens is working well for you. Or perhaps you are working well with the new lens. Nicely done.
Thanks!

Most reactions

Back