Trying to create old feel.

Garbz

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.auer.garbz.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I've taken these pictures with standard Kodak B&W 400 and then scanned them in on a nasty scanner. Levels were adjusted to compensate for the dodgy scanner, and then one was saved.

bw4.jpg

Now this other one was then converted to duo colour and some red/brown tints selected. The dark tone had it's curves adjusted to lighten the background, this also brought out scanner noise which I feel adds to the image a bit. On top of that I then added a very slight noise jsut to give it a more uniform old feel not just thoes scanner lines in the shadows.

bw5.jpg

Now the question is this. Does the extra sepia tone add a bit to the oldfeel i'm trying to achieve. The turntable is actually very new and modern so I'm trying to photograph something and give it a bit of a retro feel. I get the feeling bringing out the noise is a bit much, but without it it just looks a bit clean and the sepia tone gets wasted. Also as far as contrast goes should the shaddows be brought out like that?

I think adding anything more will disbalance the pic. Imo, you really got the effect you were looking for.
And that's a beautiful shot :thumbsup:

Personally.. while the 'look' is old the picture for me is just WAY too sharp for a 'old' photo. The coloring and everything is great it just has too much detail. I would expect a much more fuzzy or grainy picture.

The bottom one is in Duo Tone, can you sugest a specific colour if you feel it isn't right?

zedlin just to satisfy curiosity i think i'll try adding a very subtle noisy blur and see how that works out.

bw6.jpg

Slight blur added, and a bit of paper noise too. I tried adding a soft vertical grain but that was a bit over the top.

Is this better then the 1 adjustment i made?

Garbz said:
I'm wondering if that's a bit too blury. You lose a lot of the detail in the photo.

I like the sharpness and overall picture in your last post Garbz except for the tone, it looks purple. So I would take your last post and make it the same tone as shoedumas.

Last attempt:
bw7.jpg

I've screwed the dynamic range a bit. I think once I get a final one I like I'll start again from the begining with the highest res pic possible.

I personally Liked the First. Depending On how old you wish to go i guess. But whatever your choose you have the right idea.

Most reactions

Back