Trying to decide: Canon Rebel XSi vs. Olympus E-520

Dionysus

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have read everything I could possibly read up on these two cameras, but being an utter newbie, I was wondering if I could get some personal opinions about these two cameras, to help me make a solid choice. It is a matter of cost for me as well. I'm the furthest thing from well off, so the entry level digital slr's are all that are in the budget for me right now.

Sure, down the line, more lens, and gadgets, but I need the camera first. Thanks in advance for any help you can give me.

Thank you.

rebel XS is probably decent as well. i obviously have a bias towards canon, but they do have an EXCELLENT range of usable lenses from n00b to pro and you can stick em on either the xsi or the xs. ive also heard that olympus has some pretty good glass.

as a 40D shooter, I recently picked up an XSi. For a kid portrait shoot this weekend (http://www.w3bolivar.com/lr/bethellbabies) I was VERY impressed by the XSi. I had the XSi paired with the 70-200 f/2.8L IS and a 40D hooked to a 17-55 f/2.8 IS. The XSi/70-200 2.8L IS was far sharper. Hopefully it's a lens thing...but, regardless...the XSi has exceeded my expectations by far.

Personal opinions?

The canons sucks and the Oly ROCKS!!!

It is tough for me to give opinion since I only have experience with my Canon XTi (and few hours experience with my friend 1Ds MKIII). I do not know much about the Olympus.

All I know is it I have seen good results from both XSi and E-520. If you are a car person, it is like if you get a Honda Civic, there are tons of aftermarket performance parts to choose from. However, if you get a Toyota Corolla, you have less.

And it doesn't mean Civic is better than Corolla.

So back to the camera, it is really a personal choice. For me, I would rather go with the Canon or the Nikon. It is NOT just their system are better than the Olympus, it is because they are the market leader. And that means as a beginner like me, if I have questions regarding Canon system or Nikon, I maybe able to find the answer easier. And if you want to save some money and go with the 3rd party lenses and accessories, I will have more options.

But I do admit that I do like the in-body Image Stabilizer that Olympus offers. But I do not like the smaller sensor that E-520 has.

awesome, thanks, appreciate it. did you know i was asian or something with your honda civic/corolla comparison, and aftermarket parts? LOL..are you trying to say just because i'm asian, i know about modifying cars? haha j/k.

• The smaller sensor size makes possible smaller and lighter camera bodies and lenses. In particular, the potential exists for very fast lenses and very high quality lenses at lower costs. Currently this is evident to some extent in the Olympus E-4x0 series bodies, in the kit lenses sold with the E-4x0 and E-5x0 bodies, and in longer telephoto lenses.
    • Telecentric optical path means that light hitting the sensor is traveling perpendicular to the sensor, resulting in brighter corners, and most importantly improved off center resolution, particularly on wide angle lenses.
    • Because the flange focal distance is significantly shorter than most competing mounts (such as Canon FD, Canon EF, Nikon F and Pentax K), lenses for many other SLR types can be fitted to Four Thirds cameras with simple mechanical adapter rings. (Such mechanical adapter rings typically require manual setting of focus and aperture). Lenses made for the Olympus OM System can also be used, in some cases with excellent results. However, in general, longer focal length and "normal" aperture lenses (as opposed to "fast", extra-large aperture lenses) seem to produce the best results
Cheers, Don

I think it's funny how people will justify following the pack into a less than optimal purchase. :lol:

I'm so glad I drive a European car. :D

Most reactions

New Topics

Back