Trying to decide on a shirt...

I've never shot weddings but from my corporate/commercial days, I always thought it a good idea to dress as well as (or better than) the guy paying the bill. They are more likely to think of you as an equal instead of hired help.

I've never shot weddings but from my corporate/commercial days, I always thought it a good idea to dress as well as (or better than) the guy paying the bill. They are more likely to think of you as an equal instead of hired help.
Don't dress better than the bride...that's all

I dunno if this correlates the same to photography, but all the media companies up here in the north east of Scotland wear t-shirts/polos/jackets and have their logos on the back so clients can clearly identify who they are on shoots. I've even worn one one myself when accompanying them.

Interesting...

define successful.
What kinda price range does she charge?
how many bookings a year.

Her weddings start at $2,500, and she does about 15 or so per year. Pretty successful, I'd say.
ah I see the issue here: we have different definitions of a successful wedding photographer.
In my mind, a Successful wedding photographer charges in the $5,000 a wedding range (minimum) and and does maybe 15 to 20 a year.

Not my words either: How Much Do Wedding Photographers Charge?
You can generally expect wedding photography prices to range from $2,500-$10,000 depending on the photographers experience and/or offerings. Expect the top photographers (IE: the Jose Villa’s of the world) to start at around $6-7,000 and go up from there.

So there you have it....$2,500 is starting

According to Snapknot.com, the average cost for a wedding photographer is $2,814. However, in cities such as San Francisco and New York, wedding photography prices are closer to $4,000.

By that token, she's charging below average.

My rates start at $1700, so I'd be more than happy to be making $2500! That's still about 30k a year. Perfectly livable salary. For me, at least.

I decided to go with two polos with logo on the sleeve, and two button ups with logo on the breast.

thats $30k before taxes, insurance, business expenses....
you could go work for BestBuy here in Orlando and make that...plus have health insurance, 401, and PTO.

its good for someone who isnt the only one working, or as a side job. not so much if shes the primary bill payer

Still livable for me!

But I currently live with my dad, so my expenses are a bit different.

I dunno if this correlates the same to photography, but all the media companies up here in the north east of Scotland wear t-shirts/polos/jackets and have their logos on the back so clients can clearly identify who they are on shoots. I've even worn one one myself when accompanying them.

By “shoots” are you including weddings? Just curious.

OP - I’ve been to more weddings than I can remember and I’ve never seen the photographer wearing anything other than a suit or a dress shirt and tie for a man/a dress or nice pants and dressy top for a woman. Dress as you would if you were a guest based on the formality/informality of the occasion and you can’t go wrong. It’s nice to advertise your business but being underdressed in a tacky shirt with logos on it is not the way. Also, you have no way of knowing how many referrals your friend didn’t get because she showed up to someone’s formal wedding looking like she was going to Walmart.

OP - I’ve been to more weddings than I can remember and I’ve never seen the photographer wearing anything other than a suit or a dress shirt and tie for a man/a dress or nice pants and dressy top for a woman. Dress as you would if you were a guest based on the formality/informality of the occasion and you can’t go wrong. It’s nice to advertise your business but being underdressed in a tacky shirt with logos on it is not the way. Also, you have no way of knowing how many referrals your friend didn’t get because she showed up to someone’s formal wedding looking like she was going to Walmart.
no not including weddings... all the recent weddings I've been to in Scotland the photographer and their assistant are either dressed smart (plain coloured shirt and nice trousers) only time I've seen a coloured t-shirt being worn was by the videographer.

But all the media companies I know of and have worked with use branded jackets, t-shirts/polos for any type of film work, but I'm guessing from the replies to this thread that it's different for wedding photographers.

no not including weddings... all the recent weddings I've been to in Scotland the photographer and their assistant are either dressed smart (plain coloured shirt and nice trousers) only time I've seen a coloured t-shirt being worn was by the videographer.

But all the media companies I know of and have worked with use branded jackets, t-shirts/polos for any type of film work, but I'm guessing from the replies to this thread that it's different for wedding photographers.
Now that you've mentioned it, it was the videographer who was dressed like a banquet bus boy. The photographer had a dark polo neck shirt.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Not if I had a choice. The front is fine but hard to see when you're shooting. On the sleeve is different and always visible.

smart. I don't mind the idea of a modestly branded polo.

How many jobs do you really think you'll get from a walking billboard (referencing the back)?

Really! If someone wants to hire you, they will see the photos of the event, and inquire. They won't remember your classless impropriate blatant advertising.

Being dressed really well is much more memorable to the client who hired you and other prospective clients than wearing a polo or tee with a logo. It says that you take your image seriously and that you take your work seriously. A logo shirt makes you look like a mall photographer, in other words cheap. If you really want to make a lasting impression for events, I would get a suit. Nothing with vibrant colors so you don't reflect colored light or stand out too much. I echo the statement that you should see how @Vtec44 dresses for his shoots and mirror that.

To me, photographing people is often a very personal thing, and wearing a "company" shirt that has a logo turns the photographer into an entity of said company, which to me takes away from the personal connection one might be able to make with their clients. Just my two cents though.

yeah, the wedding I just did, a few guys commented on my shoes, and the bride loved my Tiffany Blue coffee and donut socks...

Yes, they will.

they'll remember it, but not in a good way. and they wont recall the name.

Being dressed really well is much more memorable to the client who hired you and other prospective clients than wearing a polo or tee with a logo. It says that you take your image seriously and that you take your work seriously. A logo shirt makes you look like a mall photographer, in other words cheap. If you really want to make a lasting impression for events, I would get a suit. Nothing with vibrant colors so you don't reflect colored light or stand out too much. I echo the statement that you should see how @Vtec44 dresses for his shoots and mirror that.

To me, photographing people is often a very personal thing, and wearing a "company" shirt that has a logo turns the photographer into an entity of said company, which to me takes away from the personal connection one might be able to make with their clients. Just my two cents though.

I've been trying to avoid replying to this because I don't want to be called egotistical, but I agree with you. I had a HUGE disagreement with my former business partner about the same issue. I don't want to wear all black or, a polo shirt, or anything with a logo. It implies that I'm a service worker just like the catering crew. While there's nothing wrong with that, I see myself as being in the business of selling intangible memories and not photography services. So perception of value is important as people will only pay how much they think you're worth. That goes beyond just simply beautiful photos.

It depends on your business strategy, how you want potential clients to see you is important. For me I want people to see me as stylish, well put , and thoughtful about what I wear. From belt colors, the type of shoes and color, watch, tie, pants, shirt, etc. They're all put together with the intention to impress potential clients at any event, and at the same time comfortable to move around. That doesn't mean you have to be flashy, but you need to be thoughtful. For client meetings, a properly fitted suit is important to me as the first impression. "You dress the way you want to charge" is the rule I go by.

Last edited:
Just my worthless 2 cents....

The familiar saying "Dress for the job you want, not the job you have" comes to mind. What would you you wear if you were to photograph the president or another "celebrity?" The principal of 6 degrees of separation would imply that you are only 6 referrals away from doing just that!

What I typically wear to shoot a wedding. To each their own...

12074595_948495531883216_8801774963428300685_n1.jpg
CT3B1712.JPG
IMG_0538_2.jpg

What I typically wear to meet clients..

18697584_10154531249546016_1563467205_o.-2.jpg

DSC_3573_edited_warm.jpg

Last edited:
Hmm, that is very insightful.

Perhaps I'll save the branded stuff for more casual gigs...

Most reactions

New Topics

Back