Trying to get my name out

bdavis

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I'm looking for ideas to help get my name out and build a portfolio. I was watching a critique from Zack Arias and he suggested to do some free photo shoots to build a portfolio, is this a good idea? Anyone have anymore ideas?

How do you all get your names out there?

Building a portfolio is fine, but beware about doing too much for free. If you start providing free services to people, you may become known as the 'free (or cheap) photographer'...and that's likely not your long term goal.

Getting your name out, won't do much unless you have something for people to look at...a portfolio. So I suggest starting with that.

What type of photography are you most interested in? Do you have any other interests that you could combine with photography (cars, sports etc)?

I guess I'm more interested in portraits/headshots/corporate headshots/modeling/fashion....maybe just general people.

My thoughts were posting an ad on craigslist for free photoshoots but putting a cutoff date on there. I explained I was an amateur trying to turn pro and needed to build a portfolio. I've already had a request for a corporate headshot and a family shoot, but dont want to get into the family thing.

Most reactions

Back