Trying to get the hang of this

More Cowbell

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
New to photography world, and having fun playing with my wife's XTi until my 50D arrives for Xmas. As you can see, I enjoy taking photos of my daughter as she is playing in the yard, and have recently taken these two photos. In the first we raked a pile of leaves together and I just let her play as I snapped away. The second was a week later during our first snowfall. I found the color photo to lack feeling, so I played around with black an white settings and found it to be more fitting. Both photos shot with a Tamron 28-75mm lens on the XTi. C&C always welcome, just trying to get the hang of things. Thanks in advance :)

aaep9d.jpg

166gaiv.jpg

Last edited:
Nothing wrong with the first photo, though it might have looked better if it had a smaller aperture setting. The second photograph is simply awesome; spontaneous with wonderful bokeh and an outfit that is smashing for B&W shots.

i love them! especially #2... i love the high contrast (but i have a feeling i will get that critique on my photos often on here though... i have a tendency to over-contrast my photos too.. lol... i just can't help myself!) :sillysmi: thanks for sharing!

i have a tendency to over-contrast my photos too
Me three. For longest time I was over contrasting them thinking that BW actually mean B/W. Then, learned that there's such thing called Zone System, linked above, and began following the guidlelines, so to speak.
Today I do that on images that are complete junk and needed be salvaged SOMEHOW. Thus applying BW, boosting the contrast, blowing out the highlights at times does the job just to salvage needed image.

Thanks for the input. The second one I did boot the contrast up because I liked the look. I wanted to give it an "old past-time" feel. I'll lighten up on the contrast though, again, I'm here to learn

Thanks for the input. The second one I did boot the contrast up because I liked the look. I wanted to give it an "old past-time" feel. I'll lighten up on the contrast though, again, I'm here to learn

ya, you're right... it does give that "old past-time" look to it... it's a sweet picture! :)

I like #2 even with the high contrast. Would like to see how it would look with less contrast though.

I have to say that I like the one with more contrast myself. For my taste anyway that is a great pic. Very well done.

Most reactions

Back