Trying to make a logo...

jenn76

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.photographicmemories.me
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have come up with a logo that I want to use for now (til I come up with a better idea or the know-how to do it!) and create a watermark, but since I don't have any logo design software, I put it together on pages (I have a Mac). But the problem is that since I did it on pages, it's on a white background instead of a trasparency. (The logo is an oval with text), and I don't know how to separate the logo itself from the white, so i can use it on my website etc. I no longer have photoshop, but I have gimp (just not very good at using it yet! Was never proficient at PS). Help? TIA!

I'm not sure how gimp is set up but I think when saving you can choose the type of file you want, png usually removes the white background. I think, in photoshop you have to remove the white background but when saving it as something other than png it will save your work with the white.

I probably make no sense but I hope I helped a little

Since I did it on pages, I had to save it in .pages. But when I open it in gimp, I don't think saving in .png is taking the white background off, since it thinks that's part of the file. Thanks though. Any other ideas? Anyone? ;)

Open it up in Pages, do a screen capture (shift, command 4). Open that screen capture in Gimp. If Gimp has a "magic wand" then click on the white and all the white should be selected. Hit delete and the white should go away making the background "transparent", then you should be able to save it as a PNG.

If that doesn't make sense... send me the screen capture and I'll do it for you in about 2 minutes. You could also send me a PDF (saved out of pages) and I can do it with the PDF

if I were you, I would take a selected area screen shot of the logo... (apple+shift+4) and hightlight around your logo... this will turn it into a PNG... you then need to take it into Gimp and if it is like photoshop, there is a tool that will erase the background... click that tool and then click the white area and it should all dissappear.. thats how you do it with photoshop anyway... ALSO in pages, there is alpha mask... if you click that you can then click the whited area of the logo and it will dissappear

and if that fails, send it to me and I can do it in 2 seconds for you

I tried the magic wand in gimp (as I was doing until about 1am this morning! and again just now)... this might be a stupid question, but when i delete the white background, how do I know it's deleted? Will it be on that black and grey pattern background, or will it still show white? I just don't know if it's actually deleted. When I highlight the white area and hit delete on my keyboard, there is still a dashed line outlining the white around the outside of the rectangle (the work area) as well as around the oval (logo). So I tried hitting "Cut" and then there was a dashed line around the work area, but no longer around the logo. I'm so confused, but I'd like to try to do it myself so I can be a little smarter for it... but it may not be long til I give up and send it to one of you guys! :D

After messing in gimp, I figured I'd see if it worked by trying to put it on my website. The white background was definitely still there. So if one of you guys still wants to help, let me know how you want me to send it to you! Thanks again!
:mrgreen:

After messing in gimp, I figured I'd see if it worked by trying to put it on my website. The white background was definitely still there. So if one of you guys still wants to help, let me know how you want me to send it to you! Thanks again!
:mrgreen:

if you use msn, you can add me [email protected] or you can send it to [email protected]

there i sent it to you... hopefully it works.. for those wondering, heres what we ended up with.... i know it has white here.. but it shouldnt when you open it in gimp...

20080911-q58pageamf4i9j9mji51xe3sqm.jpg

Question for you Jen... the .me domain.. i assume that has to do with your mobile me account... did you have to pay extra to have an address .me??

Most reactions

New Topics

Back