TS-E 17 4/L vs Lightroom Perspective Correction

Mammab

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Please help me understand. I have been obsessing over the Canon TS-E 17 for architectural and interior work. As you know, it is a $$ lens (for me, at least).

Would using the Canon 16-35mm f/4 lens along with Lightroom's perspective correction create a similar image if I had used the TS-E 17?

I asked a photographer what he thought about the TS lenses and he told me he just uses Lightroom to take care of the perspective/distortion issues.

Anyhow, please forgive me if this questions sounds silly. Just trying to understand.

Many thanks.

I wasn't even aware LR had perspective correction.

I have LR 6.1...didnt know about this. I'd have to fool around with it. I currently export photos to PS for this sort of work.

I'd still prefer to use a T/S lens if possible if this was the sort of shots I was primarily doing.

edit: saw a video on the new functions. looks cool.

It literally fixes any perspective and distortion issues with the click of a button.

You lose A LOT of photo's with wild distortion when you fix it in software. As always, it's best to do it in camera. Yes the lens is expensive, but I myself have been lusting after Nikon's iteration of that lens. My 16-35 does well it, but a perspective control/tilt-shift will work wonders. And, those lenses are INCREDIBLY sharp, from what I've read and seen.

Jake

From what I know, and I don't know a lot, you may end up cropping/clipping your image a heck of a lot, depending on how much needs fixed.

ETA: @D-B-J, you beat me to it! :p

You lose A LOT of photo's with wild distortion when you fix it in software. As always, it's best to do it in camera. Yes the lens is expensive, but I myself have been lusting after Nikon's iteration of that lens. My 16-35 does well it, but a perspective control/tilt-shift will work wonders. And, those lenses are INCREDIBLY sharp, from what I've read and seen.

Jake
Thank you for this !!

From what I know, and I don't know a lot, you may end up cropping/clipping your image a heck of a lot, depending on how much needs fixed.

I wish I could find a 'before/after" online somewhere -- have been searching like a mad woman with no luck! Thank you for your input !

I wish I could find a 'before/after" online somewhere -- have been searching like a mad woman with no luck! Thank you for your input !
I remember there was a discussion previously, but I can't remember where at... It's not that you can't do it, it's that you'll need to compose your image with your final, LR image in mind. So, if you have anything you like around the edges of your frame in camera, you may lose them in your final image.

I remember there was a discussion previously, but I can't remember where at... It's not that you can't do it, it's that you'll need to compose your image with your final, LR image in mind. So, if you have anything you like around the edges of your frame in camera, you may lose them in your final image.
Thank you !

Found it: Lens choices for architectural interior photography Photography Forum

Scroll through the thread to see some people's opinions

well here's one of mine:

DSC_1684-1-2.jpg

U.S. Supreme Court
by The Braineack, on Flickr

more extreme:
DSC_1621-18.jpg

Library of Congress
by The Braineack, on Flickr

there's a lot of stretching of the pixels in that last shot on the edges.

Last edited:
It literally fixes any perspective and distortion issues with the click of a button.

Not exactly.
LR can fix some lens induced distortion with automatic correction (as long as that lens is in the database.)
LR can fix some perspective distortion but it can only fix distortion that is equivalent across the frame.
PS is much more powerful in that you can do free transformations and correct a good sight more distortion (or at least I can try) -
but always at the expense of pixels.

If you are doing lots of real estate - and are getting paid a good amount and have the time to spend to set up the lens for each shot - a perspective control lens is the ultimate.

I've shot a fair amount of real estate for neighbor and family - and was careful in camera placement, and I was able to correct anything egregious in LR or PS.

Most reactions

Back