Tuesday's Train

Nice. You know someone nominated one of your train photos for the month of Aug?

Nice. You know someone nominated one of your train photos for the month of Aug?

Yes...I know! Mishele got me up there for my train shot #1....she rocks and has really good taste in photos..LOL! This shot is from the same train...about four cars down...other side. The color version is awesome ;) but I thought grayscale was fitting as well.

Would love to see the color version!

I love old train images, or any old machinery images for that matter. This is a nice one. Well done!

Attachments

• $dead train at the  balloon track 8.jpg
    $dead train at the balloon track 8.jpg
    502.2 KB · Views: 79
Nice work again. You were right to convert this because it's really about contrast and texture, and you did a good job of it, bringing out the contrast in the rust. What really makes it for me is that thing in the lower left corner - almost looks like a face trapped under the car. The only thing that bothers me just a little is the graffiti running up out of the upper left corner - it might be just that there's something in front of it right on the edge that draws attention. It might be worth trying either a simple crop at the top or some cloning, and maybe darken the graffiti just a bit as it gets close to the edge.

KenC said:
Nice work again. You were right to convert this because it's really about contrast and texture, and you did a good job of it, bringing out the contrast in the rust. What really makes it for me is that thing in the lower left corner - almost looks like a face trapped under the car. The only thing that bothers me just a little is the graffiti running up out of the upper left corner - it might be just that there's something in front of it right on the edge that draws attention. It might be worth trying either a simple crop at the top or some cloning, and maybe darken the graffiti just a bit as it gets close to the edge.

Thanks for the comments, Ken. And now that I look more closely at that graffiti, you may be right. It does kinda *steal* some of the eye and shoot it straight out of the scene. When I get back from work I may take you suggestion and darken (maybe even clone) the top...then the eye would be more held on the subject. Good tip.

I have about 100 more shots of this unreal train with that I haven't had the time to go through. It was about 5 cars long, each car different, and two-sided trains give twice the amount of images for a subject like this. There must be 20 coats of paint on this thing that are all slowly decaying..yielding to the rust beneath. Very cool stuff IMO.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back