Turn my hobby into Cash? NYIP

av8er79

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hello,

I am new to the forum and am hoping to get some good advice as well as gain some technical knowledge. I am here because I have a passion for photography. I have an established career and would like to turn my hobby (photography) into a “money-making” hobby. I have yet to purchase my first digital SLR. I will probably be getting one towards the end of the year. About which one well I guess that will be another thread.

I have Elements and Photoshop and have a basic understanding of the programs but am still learning everyday. I have never taken a formal coursed on photography. I have read several books and fell that I may benefit from a course. I have looked into the NY Institute of Photography. They offer a course called “The Complete Course in Professional Photography”. I was wondering if anyone had taken that course and if so what did you think of it?

Any other advice or recommendations from you pro’s? I'm all ears

Thanks,
Scott

I signed up for the course and it is very informative and I learned a lot from the lessons. The feedback from your advisor is really nice to hear. They seem to put a lot of thought into their comments and are very insightful. And the tapes with Chuck and Dean are actually kind of neat to listen to. I outgrew it in a matter of weeks. The course starts out with the basics, the nuts and bolts as I like to call them. The why's and the how's of photography. And it covers alot on film, which I would reccommend any photographer, analog and dig alike, to learn the characterisitcs of film inasmuch as you will also learn about the characteristics of light, what it does, how it acts, etc. This is ESSENTIAL for any photographer as you are recording light. Helps to know your subject. But the information is very basic. And can, quite frankly, be acquired elsewhere for less than $800 plus (whatever tuition is nowadays). I would suggest, until you get your dig SLR, a cheap film camera with interchangeable lenses and Ansel Adams' book 'The Negative'. This covers film, light, exposure, filters, film processing, everything you need to learn to be more than a mere hack and be a good photographer. Learn those nuts and bolts and the machine will work better later on. Good luck.

I have a couple point and shoots why should i spend the money on a film camera. Thanks on your input concerning NYIP. It sounds like you are not recommending their course. Is there any other type of instruction that you would recommend?

+1 on the film camera.
I look at it this way. With a dSLR you can get snap happy and take way too many pictures trying to get the 'right one', they have in camera image corrections, etc... All stuff YOU should learn how to do, and get it right 'in the camera' . With film you are forced to 1 ISO setting, per roll. Forced to cepture the the right exposure the first time. 1 chance to get the filters right, etc... The more basic of a film camera, that still lets you set f-stop, and shutter speed, and ISO, thet better I think you will learn the basics. Once the basics are known it make everything much easier, and your photos will be better as well. They will need less post processing, and you will be able to say 'That is how I took the shot' Not 'I added that nice orange glow to enhance the sunset' I am no way against dSLRs and if you go that route I suggest you get one that lets you shoot RAW, and be deliberate in your shooting, and not point, shoot, and hope for the best.

Click that banner ad directly above your thread topic and check it out. The one that says Proud Photography. From what I hear they are great bang for the buck. I think it's about $90 or so for several courses.

There are several people from these forums who have taken the course and come back with positive results.

It's just a beginner's course, so I wouldn't expect to come out of it a pro photographer, but for $90 you almost have nothing to lose.

As to a course of study I cannot recommend one except perhaps finding a film photography course at a local community college or some such that will have someone knowledgable to introduce you to . . .

With film you are forced to 1 ISO setting, per roll. Forced to cepture the the right exposure the first time. 1 chance to get the filters right, etc... The more basic of a film camera, that still lets you set f-stop, and shutter speed, and ISO, thet better I think you will learn the basics. Once the basics are known it make everything much easier, and your photos will be better as well.

How to do it right and KNOW WHAT YOU DID. It is not by all means necessary. Just my suggestion. Dedication to a fully manual camera would induce learning how to MAKE images. Again, not necessary.

Have a look at the tutorials in my signature. They'll give you a good grounding in the basics of photography, and they're free! :)

I have a couple point and shoots why should i spend the money on a film camera. Thanks on your input concerning NYIP. It sounds like you are not recommending their course. Is there any other type of instruction that you would recommend?
ART and Buisness along with photography courses of some kind to hone your skill

Most reactions

Back