TUTORIAL:OFF CAMERA EXTERNAL FLASH USING SMARTPHONES

Discussion in 'Beyond the Basics' started by John Fantastic, Dec 6, 2020.

1. John Fantastic

John Fantastic TPF Supporters Supporting Member

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Have not updated this thread for a while, have been busy with work, but next month I will be busy shooting again. In the meantime, Here is a highkey shot that I took. I used 2 cpflash with my huawei P30 Pro and set the power to 100% and bounced the off camera flash to the walls and ceiling. :)

lores IMG_20210114_163009.jpg

Here is the photo diagram of the shoot. :)

Diagram 4 Musical Instruments.jpg

2. Kier

Kier TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I have a question regarding flash, but not in regards to phone photography so this may not be the right thread for that, however, I couldn’t have timed stumbling on the thread any better. Just at the weekend, I was playing with white balance! So I will hold up my hands (don’t shoot) and say that I leave it on auto and adjust in post of I think I need too. I then went the other way at the weekend and ended up going in circles in my head deciding that white balance is the key to making my shots look better. Having seen your two pictures at the bottom, I can see how much it impacts the image, however, I am relieved to hear that you keep it on daylight and don’t have to much concern with it!

3. John Fantastic

John Fantastic TPF Supporters Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    Hello Kier,

I almost always shoot in daylight or flash balance which is usually 5,500 degrees Kelvin temperature. I never use automatic white balance because I would not know what the white balance compensation your camera selected. Which will make it harder to correct if you find it not to your liking.

Usually the white balance becomes very important when you do professional product shots where the color of the product is very critical, let us say colored leather bags by Hermes or Louis Vuitton, but for everyday use, setting your camera setting to daylight or flash balance will produce outstanding results . :)

Last edited: Feb 23, 2021 at 10:04 AM
  4. Kier

Kier TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit

Thank you John! I’m not sure why I didn’t think before, of course automatic naturally will do its own thing, so of course it would make it harder for me to make changes if I don’t know what it has done!
    I highly doubt I will be shooting any Louis Vuitton any time soon, so I will give it a go on daylight and see what happens!