twins! (babys)

The other forum got it wrong- forshortening is the effect that you get with a telephoto that screws up perspective and makes it hard to tell the relitive distances between two objects. The 50 mm fl is a normal (in 35mm terms) lens and sees the same angel as your eyes. Because of the differences in digital sensor screens and the 35 mm format the normal will change a little, as has already been discussed on here.
The only distortion you would see in these with the lense you are using might be a small widening of the image. That is not present that I see. In 35mm, a 135 mm fixed lense was often used to foreshorten features some what and to provide a good working distance to the subject. But then we used grease blured lens and red filters (in bw) to reduse skin blimishes.
Judge Sharpe

The other forum got it wrong- forshortening is the effect that you get with a telephoto that screws up perspective and makes it hard to tell the relitive distances between two objects. The 50 mm fl is a normal (in 35mm terms) lens and sees the same angel as your eyes. Because of the differences in digital sensor screens and the 35 mm format the normal will change a little, as has already been discussed on here.
The only distortion you would see in these with the lense you are using might be a small widening of the image. That is not present that I see. In 35mm, a 135 mm fixed lense was often used to foreshorten features some what and to provide a good working distance to the subject. But then we used grease blured lens and red filters (in bw) to reduse skin blimishes.
Judge Sharpe

I didn't know that, I'm glad to have learned this. She says its particular in 2,3 and 6 on the left side of her face. JS, did you click on the paragraph I posted.. ? Just wondering if that website is inaccurate?

I disagree with the paragraph. Her definition of foreshortening is exactly opposite to what I have learned in my 50+years of taking pictures.
She is right that too wide a focus lense will make, say the nose more prominite ( my spell check is down sorry) than the eyes. The typicale fisheye look is this exagerated. Foreshotening is when you can not tell how far it is between two points, like with a telescope. foreshortening FLATTENS features. I think in a dslr the normal lens- don't quote me- is about 35mm which is a wide angle in a 35 mm film camera, due to the size of the sensor. This would make a 50 mm a short telephoto, and perfect for portrait photographs. If you will use the fixed lenth lense you will be surpiised at the sharpness and light gathering vs. a zoom. A carefull ezamination under high magnification will bear this outThe only real advantage to a zoom is in the easy cropping you can do before you shoot.
Sorry that I tend to ramble- it my age i guess.
Bill Brower

Most reactions

Back