orlovphoto

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
orlovphoto.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi there,

If you ever feel like supporting the arts now would be a good time - two artists committed to film photography are building a darkroom on wheels to bring the experience to those who have never experienced the joy of developing and printing their own images.

Please support if you can.
Thank you.

The Photo Palace Bus by Anton Orlov

Last edited by a moderator:
with ortho- and even panchromatic technologies much more available to the photographer, I'd also imagine that we'll see a resurgence of hand-made sensitive media, in particular glass plates. I think that this is really a great thing, as making your own sensitive materials will lend to a greater control and appreciation for wet processes.

The great thing about film is that anyone with a well-stocked darkroom can make it from scratch.

True - that's why we are setting out to do this. Not only to show people what the final product looks like (cause there's nothing like looking at a love gum print or even a gelatin silver print vs. a 72dpi screen shot) but also to educate people first-hand on the techniques and traditions of film.

The Photo Palace Bus by Anton Orlov — Kickstarter

Thanks for your help and support.
Anton.

This is an amazing idea! Absolutely love it.
I feel that so many people just buy a digital camera and shoot away with almost no respect to the photographic process these days. I'm not trying to be all "superior" by saying that film photography is "so much better," I just mean to say that I have learned so much through working in a darkroom, and think everyone could benefit from this process

I can use help right now with promotion of this - plus we really need some big believers in this to pledge their support.
Thank you for the kind words.

Anton.

hmmmm. tell me a little more about the love gum process ... sounds sexy ;)

P.S. Now it's just me on this thing - the other guy was a slacker and after I confronted him about that he bailed back to his dads cozy house on the hill overlooking the ocean, why work hard if you can have free food and rent, right?

Such a wonderful project! I'm still waiting to the opportunity to buy a developing kit. My grandfather had one but after his death nobody looked after it and there's nothing left of it...

I truly never thought film was dying and needed keeping alive. Is it as prevalent as it used to be? No, but it's definitely at no risk of dying anytime soon...I think that the people who gave these folks almost $10,000 should have spent that money on film if they truly cared about it's livelihood.

Chris R said:
I truly never thought film was dying and needed keeping alive. Is it as prevalent as it used to be? No, but it's definitely at no risk of dying anytime soon...I think that the people who gave these folks almost $10,000 should have spent that money on film if they truly cared about it's livelihood.

It's a really cool concept, but I agree with you. Products stay in the market based off of consumer demand. I could actually see this project hurting film more than helping it.

The sales may boost in the materials to make the film, but of this takes off, less people will be buying film and making it for themselves instead. This entire process is pretty much condoning the failure of film in the consumer market, and allowing them to learn to create it themselves after it's gone.

So I agree, If you truly want to support film and keep it alive, then buy more of it and encourage other people to buy more of it. That is really the only true way of keeping it "alive."

This is like teaching a country full of people to clean and prep their own cows for steak and beef, because people are buying less of it at that current point in time.

P.S. Now it's just me on this thing - the other guy was a slacker and after I confronted him about that he bailed back to his dads cozy house on the hill overlooking the ocean, why work hard if you can have free food and rent, right?

Actually, aren't you asking people for money so you can have free food and rent?
Worshiping a process seems a little off point to me.
I do know someone who writes with a fountain pen because she likes the feel and the look of the pen itself, but that doesn't make her a great author.

IMO, photography should be about the end product and not the process.
Take a POS image and making a gum print imparts a certain beauty to the print but doesn't make the image any more memorable.

Last edited:
who sells the love gum product

Most reactions

Back