Two Cameras: Canon Rebel T5 EOS, Canon 30d EOS.

Idaho 45 Vaquero

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Howdy All,

I'm new to photography by the way. I would like to know some of the experiences and opinions some people have with some Canon EOS cameras in the $200-$350 price range; I have a couple I'm very interested in below. Are these good cameras?

Canon EOS Rebel T5 EF-S 18-55mm (Certified Refurbished by Canon) f/3.5-5.6

Canon EOS 30d (used on amazon) EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6

They are sold by Amazon. I can get the 30d for a about $60 less than the $320 price for the refurbished Rebel T5 kit.

I'm planning on trying something like a Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 STM Lens or a Tamron lens for an EOS on it for some close 10-15in. shots. Of course I'll see how the Camera does on its own first before I purchase additional lenses. Just wondering how well they do with lens attachments?

Thanks All.

Are you completely stuck on Canon? I had a few Canon EOS models and they were solid as in build. You could also go into mirrorless camera's like the Sony a6000 since the price drop on it and it's a great little camera with tons of features.

Try Ebay, I looked hard at the 30D before I bought my 40D and you could get the 30D for under $100 for camera, battery and charger and could add a 2 year "Square Trade" warranty for another $20+/-. You could probably get the 30D with a good EF-S IS lens for $150-$175.

Charlie

Wouldn't bother with the 30D, 40D, 50D all really old cameras, high ISO on them is just bad.
T5 is much better but its still carrying a 6 years old sensor which is ok but not really impressive, I would actually recommend you considering a Nikon D3200 Nikon D3300 which has a solid modern sensor.
In Canada the Nikon D3300 is 280$ new in store body only.
For you might be a better bet to get the Nikon D3200 with kit lens as you don't have any lenses yet.

Why not point and shoot? Better macro capabilities, possibly?

Howdy All,

I'm new to photography by the way. I would like to know some of the experiences and opinions some people have with some Canon EOS cameras in the $200-$350 price range; I have a couple I'm very interested in below. Are these good cameras?

They are sold by Amazon. I can get the 30d for a about $60 less than the $320 price for the refurbished Rebel T5 kit.

I'm planning on trying something like a Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 STM Lens or a Tamron lens for an EOS on it for some close 10-15in. shots. Of course I'll see how the Camera does on its own first before I purchase additional lenses. Just wondering how well they do with lens attachments?

Thanks All.

I have a T3i and a 5DII and a total of eleven lenses.

I like my T3i and all the lenses work great on it.
Please understand that I expect the t3i to perform like 5Dmk II.
I use my t3i as a back up camera.
The t3I holds its own, its one hell of a camera ...

I also own the 50mm 1.8 but I would save your money and pick up the 85mm 1.8.
Totally killer lens for he price ...
The 50mm 1.8 is a ok lens but the 85mm 1.8 is allot better glass .

If I need to choose between the 2, I will take the T5 kit instead. 30D is quite old and the key point is the shutter actuations (or shutter counts). Of course, there is a chance that the original owner did not use the camera much at all. So if you are going to buy use, pay attention on the shutter actuations.

Also, Canon USA also sell refurbished DSLR. However, the T5 kit is currently out of stock. You may check the following link later and see if they are back in stock.

Canon EOS Rebel T5 EF-S 18-55mm IS II Lens Kit Refurbished | Canon Online Store

The camera with lens is currently selling for $278.99 with 1 year warranty from Canon USA.

Howdy All,

Thanks All.

look at refurbished T5i (note the i) at $430

Thanks All.
I've ended up purchasing the Canon EOS T5. It will arrive next week sometime. One of you suggested a Nikon which sounds like a good option; the main reason I'm stuck on Canon though is the EOS lens interchangeability, and that I have friends and relatives that I might be able to borrow a Canon lens from now and then. I'll be mainly using the camera for macro and close-up photography of antique firearms, artifacts, and rock/ore samples. I suppose I'll have some fun taking pictures of western landscapes as well.

Most reactions

Back