Two different shots of the same location

batmura

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'd appreciate any C&C on composition, technique, etc.

DSC_0012_2.jpg

And here's a different angle in B&W.

DSC_0019.jpg

I like the B&W one. It has more dramatic cloud movement and silky water feel to it. However, I like the composition of the first pix. Btw, what ND filter do you use? I just bought the Hoya 9 stops but I was disappointed that it has the purple hue shown on my pictures, can't be fixed on Lightroom. Anyone read this and can recommend me a decent 9 or 10 stops ND Filter that don't burn my pocket < $150?

DSC_0012_2.jpg

DSC_0019.jpg

I greatly prefer the color version, simply because cropping off the bow end of the boat in the B&W shot, plus the boat's placement, both terribly weaken the composition. Also, the white of the boat, being the brightest object in the frame, draws the eye immediately and repeatedly to....the ugly bottom of a boat. Also, the vignette applied to the building in the B&W looks heavy-handed and darkens the building; in the color shot, the building looks "light" on the yellow, and dark under the roof area, which is natural. Also, the clouds behind the building in the distance in the color shot draw the eye to the building a bit. The boat in the foreground, shown full-length, and the background of the pier work to balance the entire shot.

This is a good example of one weak photo and one strong one. The color photo shows us five different depth planes; the B&W shows us fewer. For example, in the color shot, the strip of water that lies above the bottom of the boat, but before the pier...that conveys depth very well. In the B&W shot, the amputated boat rests on a slab that shows no foreground below it (which the color shot does show!) and then the bottom of the boat covers up the water that intervenes between boat and pier...all in all, just NOT a good camera placement. To me, the color image is wildly successful, whereas the B&W composition and picture are both lacking.

Color version for me. Just more pleasent to look at IMHO

#1 for me. Excellent balance. I like it a lot.

number one for me. I don't like how the bow of the boat is cropped out in the b&w

DSC_0012_2.jpg

DSC_0019.jpg

I greatly prefer the color version, simply because cropping off the bow end of the boat in the B&W shot, plus the boat's placement, both terribly weaken the composition. Also, the white of the boat, being the brightest object in the frame, draws the eye immediately and repeatedly to....the ugly bottom of a boat. Also, the vignette applied to the building in the B&W looks heavy-handed and darkens the building; in the color shot, the building looks "light" on the yellow, and dark under the roof area, which is natural. Also, the clouds behind the building in the distance in the color shot draw the eye to the building a bit. The boat in the foreground, shown full-length, and the background of the pier work to balance the entire shot.

This is a good example of one weak photo and one strong one. The color photo shows us five different depth planes; the B&W shows us fewer. For example, in the color shot, the strip of water that lies above the bottom of the boat, but before the pier...that conveys depth very well. In the B&W shot, the amputated boat rests on a slab that shows no foreground below it (which the color shot does show!) and then the bottom of the boat covers up the water that intervenes between boat and pier...all in all, just NOT a good camera placement. To me, the color image is wildly successful, whereas the B&W composition and picture are both lacking.
Wow, Derrel, that is easily the best and most helpful C&C I've ever received. I can't thank you enough for this!

I actually like them both. Probably the color just a hair more than the b/w just because of the angle. I am usually not a fan of the HDR look, but I really like this shot.

Most reactions

Back