Two estimates for repair

For the F2 that really isn't to0 out of line for the work being done. Remember the F2 came out in 1971 and the last one was made some 36 years ago. The F2 was the camera of choice of the day. Parts have not been made for 35 years. One of my F2's had to have a shutter repair a few years ago and it cost me $400.00 to have it done. I sent it to Japan to have it done and it took 2 months. The gentleman that did the repair, was a retired Nikon repair expert on the F2. After he retired he bought up all the spare parts he could get his hands on. When I got the thing back it was good as new. Sadly he has since passed away. His skills at fixing and refurbishing the F2's was true artistry. In my situation it was worth it. That was one of the two F2's I owned since the early 70's and I was not parting with it.

Sure I could buy a nice F2 used for cheaper, but it wouldn't have been my F2.

Also make sure of which version of the F2 you have. An early model goes cheap. A later F2AS in good condition is still going of for $450 to $500. Not all F2's are alike.

It generally is too high a price to get an old camera repaired unless it is worth a LOT of money.
It takes a lot of time and effort to replace internal parts ... usually obtaining the parts is the hardest part.

For the F2 that really isn't to0 out of line for the work being done. Remember the F2 came out in 1971 and the last one was made some 36 years ago. The F2 was the camera of choice of the day. Parts have not been made for 35 years. One of my F2's had to have a shutter repair a few years ago and it cost me $400.00 to have it done. I sent it to Japan to have it done and it took 2 months. The gentleman that did the repair, was a retired Nikon repair expert on the F2. After he retired he bought up all the spare parts he could get his hands on. When I got the thing back it was good as new. Sadly he has since passed away. His skills at fixing and refurbishing the F2's was true artistry. In my situation it was worth it. That was one of the two F2's I owned since the early 70's and I was not parting with it.

Also make sure of which version of the F2 you have. An early model goes cheap. A later F2AS in good condition is still going of for $450 to $500. Not all F2's are alike.
I'm actually having my F2 Soverized in England as wee speak. I figured I've already go one near and dear to me, so this one might be a project.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

It generally is too high a price to get an old camera repaired unless it is worth a LOT of money.
It takes a lot of time and effort to replace internal parts ... usually obtaining the parts is the hardest part.
Yes, in fact a lot of times parts need to be fabricated for the camera if there are none available anymore.

Yeah, I really need a 3D metal printer ... umm, that is affordable.
Dude I happen to have one!! [emoji13] [emoji13] [emoji13] [emoji13]

Yeah, they are a lot of fun, eh?

Yeah, they are a lot of fun, eh?
Broken wating for estimate. Hahaha. No man. I barley have a chisel and Stone.

I'm actually having my F2 Soverized in England as wee speak. I figured I've already go one near and dear to me, so this one might be a project.

My F and my 2 F2's are near and dear to me as is my Pentax 6X7. We have all been through a lot together. They are all old friends from a long time ago.

I would love to add a Nikon F2 Teak body to my collection.

That's about the price of a CLA that us Leica shooters pay every few years to keep our cameras in perfect working order

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk
Might be time you learned to clean, lubricate and adjust your equipment too then. :)

When I had an A/C go out in my truck, they quoted me 1200.00 to fix it. I found that the parts (compressor, drier, lines and evaporator) and tools, (gauges, vacuum pump) only cost around 600.00, so I bought the tools and parts and learned about A/C repair, now I'll never pay for A/C work again.

That's a good thing.

The first time I did a complete tear down and rebuild of a Xerox iGen 4, it was daunting, but it comes down to a lot of very small and easy steps. That's basically what all repair and rebuild jobs come down to.
I do all my own photo equipment maintenance, repairs and adjustments.
No way I'm taking my Leica's apart it's not worth it is can be doing something else it's not like it's a cheap Nikon

Right... Did you pay more than 662,000.00 for one? That's what the iGens I tore down and rebuilt. There isn't a machine worth too much to learn to repair, IMO.

Right... Did you pay more than 662,000.00 for one? That's what the iGens I tore down and rebuilt. There isn't a machine worth too much to learn to repair, IMO.
No but I'm fitting an attic roof to a £1,000,000 house and another one next week and the week after

Most reactions

Back