Two from the Kitchen (C&C)

Bitter Jeweler

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I was bored, wanted to get some practice in, so I looked to the kitchen. :D

I took about 30 pics, played with composition, and here are what I think are the 2 strongest images. There are 5 more HERE if you want to take a look.
These were all shot hand held with available light from the windows, with the kit 18-55mm zoom lens.

(Shutter Speed): 1/15Sec.
(Aperture Value): F5.6 (Ap priority mode)
Metering Modes: Spot
Exposure Compensation: -1 1/3
ISO Speed: 800

3526284549_bd66bdfab4_o.jpg

This is a glass and mug in the dishwasher, lit from below with sunlight on the floor. This is a tight crop from a larger image. I choose the tight crop because it leaves more to the imagination of what and where this is. If you would like to see the large image, just ask.

(Shutter Speed): 0.4 Sec.
(Aperture Value): F5.6 (Ap priority mode)
Metering Modes: Spot
Exposure Compensation: -1 1/3 (because I forgot to change it)
ISO Speed: 800

TOOLS
3527095602_758b3802a4_o.jpg

This is one of my first images that I like full frame. After playing around with the color saturation, I tried a monchromatic tint. It really looks better to me. With all the steel in the center, and some color on the sides, it doesn't work as well in color me thinks. If you want to see it, just ask.

Thanks for looking and for your comments,
David

Last edited:
me thinks its a tad soft and a little busy. interesting picture though.

me thinks its a tad soft and a little busy. interesting picture though.
I agree with the tad soft. A faster lens will arrive tomorrow :)
I simply cannot get sharp pics, handheld, in low light.

what are you shooting with?

man you're gonna love that lens. its incredible. some words of advice.... get the lens hood, put it on, and NEVER remove it. always leave it on. the 1.8 is very fragile and ive heard some horror stories from people regarding it breaking on them. its a wicked fast lens and takes some mighty fine pictures, and im not trying to scare you as i haven't experienced the horrors ive heard so much about. but better to be safe than sorry.

also its gonna take you some time to get used to the lens. initially you're gonna freak out cuz its only 50mm and its prime. you have to move your camera to get things in and out of the frame as apposed to zooming in and out. but once you get used to it (shouldn't take more than an hour) you'll be praising it as well. congrats on the addition.

The first one to me is kind of abstract, did you mean for it to be so. Bc with out reading your explanation I couldn't tell what it was. But I like the colors.

For the second one I actually kind of like the soft look. Maybe you can say its little too soft but it makes it look like its some old kitchen where someone really likes to cook. The B&W really adds to the look as well. My attention went mostly right away to the wine bottle. Maybe its little to busy and the object out of focus in the foreground might not be great. But over all I like it.

I know that we have been encouraged to explain our pictures when posting, but I think it kind of ruins it for me in some cases. Pic #1 would have been more interesting if I didn't know right away that it was a glass and mug in the dishwasher. I think with these types of abstract shots, there is something to be said about leaving it up to the viewer to determine what they "see". Of course, this isn't YOUR fault..but just thought I'd mention it. The colors are great, but it looks a little grainy. That might be from the high ISO or from cropping in PP?

I like the B & W used in pic #2. I think it works great with the metal utensils. My only gripe is the bottle of sherry. I think it might have been better if there were more metal (stainless steel) pots/pans, etc. instead of the glass bottle. Of course, this is just my opinion. The focus looks a little soft, as stated. I just went back and read that these were taken hand-held. With the shutter speeds so slow, that is going to be inevitable. You are going to love that 50mm lens.

Nice job finding interesting subjects to shoot in your kitchen. Looking forward to seeing some pictures with your new lens!

I know that we have been encouraged to explain our pictures when posting, but I think it kind of ruins it for me in some cases. Pic #1 would have been more interesting if I didn't know right away that it was a glass and mug in the dishwasher.

That's the first thing I thought! I scrolled down enough to see the pic, started trying to decipher what it was I was seeing, read the description and then the mystery was gone. In cases like these, you may want to conceal your actual subject and just explain the other elements like you have. I like the blue side of the photo, but the red is too dominant and not transparent enough. Plus you have more tonal range with the blue which looks nice as well. I like the way you divided the frame, almost like diagonal thirds, and it makes for a good abstract photo.

My only gripe is the bottle of sherry. I think it might have been better if there were more metal (stainless steel) pots/pans, etc. instead of the glass bottle.

We're on the same page here, anytime you add text to an image, especially text that is large in size, our eyes are automatically drawn there. Having that pushed back a bit so it's just OOF enough to not be the focal point would have made this stronger. I like the treatment you've given it here though, and I like the metallic elements to it and how they all provide their own patterns and rhythm. The left side of the frame doesn't contribute much and the top corner is kind of dead space. I think if you clutter an image this much in the center, you might as well do it all around the frame. It's a good shot though and your kitchen has served you well. :D

Congrats on the addition to your camera family....my "nifty fifty" should be on my doorstep on the 18th! =)

I definitely agree that abstract shots should not be explained....I love the first one a lot, but when I read that it was in the dishwasher, it took away from it for me because my dishwasher and i are not getting along these days....:p

My "nifty fifty" is arriving tomorrow :)

I third(?) the mention of not revealing the subject matter in some photos. Same thing, I saw it and thought, "hmmm... I wonder what that is" admired it and then read your description. Now all I see is the dishwasher... haha. On the other hand, I agree that I like the colors. On a technical lever, I don't think I can add much expertise as I'm no expert.

As for the second photo, I personally like it. I agree about the lettering on the bottle on the right. I don't mind at all that it's there, in fact I like it it adds to the texture and variation of the subject. But, if you notice, there are two other bottles on the left that don't jump out at you like the other does. The pictures on them are fine and blend in nicely. I'm one of the few, I think, who kind of like the softness of it. I don't know, maybe something to do with the fact that the objects in the photo are so rigid? It gives a different feel to something that I'm familiar with. I also like the B&W.

Great first post!

Most reactions

Back