Reaction score
Hi,

The first was taken at church this morning:

"Hi God, it's Ben."

7446-P1290138-02.jpg

This one was taken later at a friend's house. She just got two new kittens:

"Cat in the Box"

7446-P1290145-01.jpg

Comments and critique are welcome. The first shot shows a significant loss of quality from the original - I may need a different workflow for uploading.

Thanks!

Hi Jim, well, yes, while the first photo is quite, quite noisy, I still like its strictly symmetrical composition with the extra element of the kneeling child smack in the centre. While as an internet presentation it may have its flaws, I can imagine it might make a very good print.

And the cat in the box is downright cute.
Very good work on capturing a black cat.
I was asked to photograph friends' all-black cat Paul twice by now. Each and every time I see what a challenge it is. So congrats on this fun picture :D.

I like the shots and I can see that the originals would be fine, but they're a little overwhelmed by what appear to be sharpening artifacts. The first one is very very grainy and the second one the fur has gone a bit funny. If you need any advice regarding jpg workflow for displaying here, there's plenty of experts, just ask!

Hi,

I did some noise reduction at the raw image level and then cropped a bit and made a print, which looks fine. I resized the image and it still looks good, but there's definite loss of quality between the image displayed directly from my computer vs. the image displayed after uploading to the gallery here. Any suggestions about workflow for preparing images to be uploaded here would be welcome.

Here's what I'm doing now. The image was taken with an Olympus E-500 at ISO 400 in RAW format. I processed with Raw Shooter Premium, applying noise reduction and some exposure compensation. I worked on the tiff image output by RSP using Paint Shop Pro X. I cropped the original slightly, then resized to 800 x 640. I used PSP-X's export to JPG with 20% compression.

7446-Ben.jpg

Thanks!

I'm not sure about the programs, as I'm not familiar with the ones you've used, but it sounds as though you're doing the right thing by keeping the format as RAW and TIF until the very last step. There shouldn't be any compression or loss during the PSP steps if it's a TIF. You may have over sharpened at some point. If I had to guess what the culprit was, I'd say it's "export to JPG" - not sure what that means? Is there not just a "save as" option which you could put to jpeg with a slider to select quality?

I do like both pictures, you've really captured a moment with them both :)

Most reactions

Back