Two Minutes of Hanalei

I quite like this.

Dang. Those clouds are pretty. The lost coconut in the corner keeps catching my eye. Love the shadows on the mountains.

This is my favorite of yours by far. Love it. The colors are amazing. The smoothness of the water is so tranquil. I think you had me with the pastel colors. You did this one for me didn't you?

Thanks all.

Yeah Kathy, just for you!!! :p

Where's Puff?

Peaceful. Thank you.

Right up there with all your others...spectacular

Puff is farther to the right...towards Tunnels beach.

Obviously a lot to like here, but I actually think this is one of your weaker shots. Your strength is in making pretty pretty landscapes that are not trite. You find a more difficult and unusual point of view, one gets the sense that this is, maybe, a view of this thing that you cannot get from the parking lot. This one seems trite, to me. I don't mean that as as much of a condemnation as it must sound, but I can't find a word that means what I want, so I am stuck with "trite" which ain't quite it.

I love the simplicity. Normally, I'm not a fan of softer pastels, but this is really lovely.
It takes the person...right there. Thanks for sharing!

Obviously a lot to like here, but I actually think this is one of your weaker shots. Your strength is in making pretty pretty landscapes that are not trite. You find a more difficult and unusual point of view, one gets the sense that this is, maybe, a view of this thing that you cannot get from the parking lot. This one seems trite, to me. I don't mean that as as much of a condemnation as it must sound, but I can't find a word that means what I want, so I am stuck with "trite" which ain't quite it.

Thanks amolitor. This is a popular spot. The 2 minute exposure and a bit of content aware massaging I was able to remove the crowd and get back to the harmony of nature and the man made.

I love the simplicity. Normally, I'm not a fan of softer pastels, but this is really lovely.
It takes the person...right there. Thanks for sharing!

Thanks so much!

Thanks all.

Yeah Kathy, just for you!!! :p
I figured. My birthday was Monday, so you can go ahead and send me the digital file so I can have a metal print made. Happy birthday to me. Thanks rotanimod.

I thought I'd quickly update this post with a little bit of story behind the shot. Basically it was a bit of luck sprinkled in with some more luck.

For those of you who've done loooooong exposure work in the waning hours of the day, you know that just a couple images is all you have time to make. Sometimes just one chance. This was a one chance deal. I had metered the scene at f9, but for the bulb exposure I believe I opened up to f5.6. I had to do some rough math and guesswork to approximate the exposure. Also, light fades fast at this time of day. For the really long exposures its tough to take all variables into account.

So I'm on the beach. On some dry sand right at the edge of a bit of wet sand where the waves were breaking. Tripod legs can easily sink a fraction of an inch during a long shutter and ruin the whole exposure in wet sand. I realize about halfway into the exposure one of my tripod legs is balanced on my backpack strap, with cracked sand all around it! Yikes.

By the time 2 minutes was over the sun had already dipped behind a cloud. no more pretty side light on the pier or accent light on the top of the mountain.

But behold, i look on the back of the camera and had a nice histogram. So basically, I got lucky!

One chance and it worked out. The original 2:3 ratio had a bit more water and beach, but had horizon near center. So I cropped a bit off the Bottom and am pretty pleased with the photons I captured here

Nice..!! I love the colors, the smooth water and sky, the way the light hits the pinnacle of the mountain, and as the person above stated..the coconut does draw attention to itself.

Great job

Most reactions

New Topics

Back