Two portraits for C&C, please

crimbfighter

TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
My poor, poor fiance... She gets stuck being the model for everything.. I took these at our engagement party. Any thoughts on the composition? I've always struggled with posing people. I'm better with things that don't have a mind of their own... C&C appreciated!

1. 70-200 @ 160mm, f/5, ISO 200, 1/250 sec (her eyes are actually green, but look blue when next to the flowers)
9004088366_513e9fc318_b.jpg

2. 70-200 @ 150mm, f/4, ISO 200, 1/200 sec
9002905239_715feee31a_b.jpg

C&C per req:

1. Well, not much of a pose here really; just a head behind some flower! ;) I think this would have been a much stronger shot had you asked her to lower the boquet some what and shot it straight and square rather than on an angle. The lighting isn't bad, and she looks happy, both good things, but a touch of flash to add some spark to her eyes wouldn't have gone amiss.

2. Cute, even, albeing slightly flat light, but I wish you hadn't cropped her butt. Once you get your shot framed, open up just a little bit so that you avoid things like this.

Just my $00.02 worth - your mileage may vary.

~John

Thanks for the feedback, John. Your $00.02 usually gives me quite a bit of mileage! On the first one, I was going for a "peeking" type shot. Are you suggesting moving her body more out from behind the flowers and having them positioned more covering her shoulder and chest? Or keeping basically the same composition, just tilting her head straight, and moving the flowers down a bit? I also kick myself, because I even had the freaking SB700 on the camera, but didn't turn it on... I agree, some catch light in the eyes would have been nice.

At first I didn't mind her butt being cropped, but now that you brought it up, I wish I wouldn't have. I definitely need to incorporate your suggestion about opening up the frame a tad, even when I think, "I've got it!" I always seem to forget I can crop in, but not out...

I think I helped the flat lighting a bit with some tone curve adjustments and boosted contrast.

9008944064_9657aa00c3_b.jpg

For the first one, I think the flowers are taking more than their fair share of pixels in the image, and their bold color is stealing attention from the subject.

I think that particular photo would translate better if cropped in a 4:5 (or 5:4? Whatever) portrait orientation, cutting out most of the flowers, to make the face more dominant. This would result in a densely packed frame, but it might work.

For the first one, I think the flowers are taking more than their fair share of pixels in the image, and their bold color is stealing attention from the subject.

I think that particular photo would translate better if cropped in a 4:5 (or 5:4? Whatever) portrait orientation, cutting out most of the flowers, to make the face more dominant. This would result in a densely packed frame, but it might work.

This! Exactly!

Ah! Excellent idea! So, more like this?

9012804197_9a5f368682_b.jpg

crimbfighter... that last is a big improvement. I played around with it a little bit also.. hope you don't mind! I did a wash over the brightest highlights, a little cloning... and straightened it, added a little light to the eyes..

$crimb2.jpg

Last edited:

Ah! Excellent idea! So, more like this?

9012804197_9a5f368682_b.jpg

Exactly! I like it.

crimbfighter... that last is a big improvement. I played around with it a little bit also.. hope you don't mind! I did a wash over the brightest highlights, a little cloning... and straightened it, added a little light to the eyes..

View attachment 47371

Ooo, I like the change in orientation. It definitely gives me a good visualization on the impact of turning the dang head upright! Great edit, too! Thanks for the suggestions.

A name change with the same motorcycle...confusing! Hah. I really like the second shot. What a great smile with a relaxed pose. I also like the cropped first one! Well, I guess I like both!

A name change with the same motorcycle...confusing! Hah. I really like the second shot. What a great smile with a relaxed pose. I also like the cropped first one! Well, I guess I like both!

Thanks for the compliment!

Since I'm on a roll, any thoughts on this one? I know the dog's looking away, but he REFUSED to cooperate with me...

9028202087_4c07704da8_b.jpg

Most reactions

Back