two "should i push?" developing questions

denada

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
1. i modified the dx code on a role of velvia 100 to shoot at 200. then my intended use for the role did not happen and it's almost all flash photography out of an af600, much of it up close. should i actually have the lab push +1.

if so, do i need to tell them that or does the dx code tell the machine to? if i need to pull to get it back to 100, do i need to say something or does that dx code not effect the machine? trust me; they don't know.

2. i should a roll of t-max 3200 and the $4 goodwill camera manual claims to read dx code up to 3200. so i'm assuming this was exposed at 3200iso. i know that these 3200 films are not truly that fast but intended to be pushed. does the code on the canister on the film tell the machine to push or do i have to tell the lab.

the people working at the lab are not the people you talk to, so getting answers from them are so-so.

i appreciate it.

btw, dumped two cameras while duck hunting this weekend. one was my (second) af600 which has me kinda mad. one was the canon sure shot zoom s i bought to replace it -- jerry rigging those batteries in the middle of no where was fun. but i got one more roll -- before it took a dip -- of my trip in result.

work of all, my iphone se which is now discontinued. i do not want a big phone so now i gotta buy someone's nasty probably broken iphone off ebay.

You might not need a push the slide roll. It's a gamble either way. Personally I'd process it normal or split the diff and push a 1/2 stop.

Yes the 3200 is more near 1000-1200 ISO ...BUT If the camera read it as 3200 then that is a "normal" process according to the DX code, at least at my lab anyway.

You will have to tell the lab to push as the cans will not.

Tech sheet for 3200 -

https://www.ilfordphoto.com/amfile/...=ilford_brochure&__from_store=ilford_brochure

Yes the 3200 is more near 1000-1200 ISO ...BUT If the camera read it as 3200 then that is a "normal" process according to the DX code, at least at my lab anyway.

You will have to tell the lab to push as the cans will not.
see, this is where i am confused and remained confused. 100 percent due to my own stupidity. the roll was shot at 3200 iso. so i do need to tell the lab to push it a step or two? because once a lab tech told me "NO, only request a pull if you shot at 1600 or a push if you shot 6400. if you shot at 3200 you let the machine do it's thing without modification. this guy knew the 3200 film was really more around 1000 iso. this was a smart guy who worked at a lab, but only one person.

so to ask a dumb question twice, no info on the cans is tell the machine how to develop? tmax shot at 3200 will be underexposed if a push if not requested when making my order?

DX coding is for cameras only.

Since the DX code says 3200 the starting point for development is 3200. Some labs will tell you that it's an 800 speed film that if you shoot at 3200 it has to be pushed. I go by the DX code so it's a 3200 speed film and if you told me it was shot at 800 or 1600 I "PULL" the film from the 3200 starting point.
None of the many processing machines I have used in my 40 years as lab tech have never had a DX reader (the DX code does not change after you shoot a roll). It's up to the customer to tell me what ISO their film was shot at.

Last edited:
does it sounds like it needs to be pushed from that interview. my lab guy ususally knows his ****, but he's either slipping or there's some unconsidered factor.

i will say this. i've shot ilford 3200 (with is also only like 1000iso in reality) at 1000 because 1000 is how the p&s reader interpreted 3200. i had it developed untouched -- no pull, no push -- even though the lab guy (who wasn't there that day) would have said pull it. looked good to me.

edit:
though the lab guy's photos who doesn't pull or push his tmax and ilford rolls when shot at 3200 look fine too.

oh, and no words of sympathy for my af600? already ordered a new one. and haggling over used iphone se prices. surprisingly the phone isn't gonna cost me more than the camera to replace.

going to cut out the 2/3 unshot roll of cinestill 800t 35mm from the af600. i only have two other rolls and no new stock until march. that's my favorite film. gonna be a scant two months.

Last edited:
do it sounds like it needs to be pushed from that interview.

Some labs do consider 3200 a 800 speed film that needs to be pushed if shot at 3200. I consider that wrong as I go by the DX code as "normal". Ilford 3200 does consider their film as a 3200 speed film, no P in the title and DX coded to 3200. Ilford also says their 3200 film is near 1000. Great film.....I like the Delta 3200 a little more.

Nikon Lite Touch?.......those are really nice. Besides those old Ricoh P-n-S cameras those Nikons have great glass.

yeah, love them. just ordered my 3rd one.

so delta and tmax are doing the same thing? taking flexible 800-100o iso film, dx coding it at 3200, and meaning it's 3200 when pushed. that's fine; just need to know for lab development instructions.

Last edited:
Good luck, hope it comes out to your liking. Yeah Ilford had to counter Kodak with a 3200 BW. Konica back in the day had a super neat 3200 ISO color print film. Grain?....it still had less grain than say Scotch 1000- the grainiest film I ever printed.

thanks. and i think i'm not gonna push the velvia. it was almost all up close flash. i doubt the af600 really adjusts the flash between 100 and 200 iso

edit:
frustrating there are countless posts online saying do not ask the lab to push these two 3200 film. they could put it in real clear terms on the box for us, because it is not clear.

Last edited:
frustrating there are countless posts online saying do not ask the lab to push these two 3200 film. they could put it in real clear terms on the box for us, because it is not clear.

It is, as long as you state what ISO the films were shot at, the lab should make the necessary adjustments for development.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back