Two Suns

zcar21

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I tried to take a picture of the sun at sunset but got a regular picture. A couple of hours later try taking a picture with my cellphone, and it seems to pick up infrared light. This is what I got. I lower the exposure and put sunshades in front so it wouldn't be too bright.

Can somebody with real infrared camera take pictures and show them. I'm really interesting in what's going on.

Last edited:
What you got there is flare.

Infrared images of the sun are common. Click here.

I see it's just flare, but something is going on with the sun. I noticed that the sun is rising further north this year, that means that where we think the north is no longer there. I just compared the compass in my phone with a conventional compass. The phone shows the correct reading according to the shadows of the sun. You would think the conventional compass is broken, but according to past experience it should be right . I'm just saying take a look at the sky and take pictures if you see something interesting.

Last edited:
I see it's just flare, but something is going on with the sun. I noticed that the sun is rising further north this year, .........

Say what? The sun is rising further north this year? Compared to what?

...........that means that where we think the north is no longer there.........

"The north is no longer there"?????
scratch-1.gif

I'll explain it a different way. In the equator the sun still rises from the east and sets on the west. But if you use a conventional compass and look at the landmarks where the sun is supposse to rise and set they have change. If you've been living in the same house for more than 3 years you'll see it.

I'll explain it a different way. In the equator the sun still rises from the east and sets on the west. But if you use a conventional compass and look at the landmarks where the sun is supposse to rise and set they have change. If you've been living in the same house for more than 3 years you'll see it.

I think your biggest problem with the sun is you've been spending too much time out under it.

How can people not notice? especially people that take pictures.

Last edited by a moderator:
The compass heading of sunset and sunrise goes through a fairly dramatic annual cycle. In general, on any given date, it will rise and set in the same place as last year, with some minor variation.

That is a hilarious video.

How can people not notice? especially people that take pictures.

YouTube Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=84pn70PZ5dU

It sets farther to the north each day until the first day of summer, the starts setting further to the south until the first day of winter. But on any given date, it sets at the same location every year.

I know that. My point is that for the last two years it is not happening in the same place. I hope somebody who has been taking picture of sunsets and sinrise would chime in.

Those this sound like a joke also?

Last edited by a moderator:
I live close to the equator and I just noticed, but I can't believe people living in norther latitudewhere it should be more noticable don't see/care about this.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back