TPF Noob!
Reaction score
These are from my trip in Sweden :heart:

Castle in Öland:

Castle_oland.jpg

Castle in Visingsö:

Castle_smaller.jpg

The second one became even more darker when I resized it to smaller. :(

nice pics and cool looking structures! :thumbup: is there access to the inner portion of #2? if so, do you have any shots?

Yeah we got in it, but I don't have much shots from there. It was very windy and I had troubles to keep my camera steady. Next time when I go there will be summer and with tripod. Not that there was much left inside anyway. Just few walls and windows. Under it was a jail, but I didn't have guts to go there. Way too dark as you can see in the last pic. :p

Anyway, here are the few shots from inside...these are the most unblurriest I found:

visings_smaller.jpg

visig_inside.jpg

vis_win.jpg

vis_jail.jpg

yes! now i can't wait for your summer shots! what an awesome structure and what a blessing historic preservation exists. you can definately see the years of maintenance. thanks for the additional shots Niki!

Nice series Niki. How old is the castle and what was it's purpose? I was always under the impression the vikings never defended but always attacked? My favourite is the 3rd picture on the last post.

Thanks for the comments Jon and Labonte. :)

Cruzin, here comes some history for you. (About the second castle.) :)

Per Brahe, Gustav Vasas (old swedish king) brothers son, became a duke and was given Visingsö, and after a while he expanded it to 120 km2 all over Sweden.
The basics of the castle was made in the 1560 and they ruined 3 villages to be able to build it. This was the first castle of 3, the so called triangle system.
The castle had around 800 people in it, so it was a lot bigger than what we can see from the photos.
At 1717 - 1718 the castle held 2000 Russian war prisoners. 1718 the Swedish king died, and the war prisoners at the dukes place escaped/made a rebellion and they set the whole place on fire.
Here is also a picture how the castle looked before. As you can notice only little part of it is left plus the dark cellars under the ground.

wisingsborg.jpg

nice work niki

judging by the shadows, Castle in Visingsö looks like you were shooting against the sun, always a tricky situation. Did you meter against the castle?

Thanks Vonn.

That day there weren't any sun at all actually. Just a gloomy day. I was standing on the highest position I found and about 10-20 minutes later it was so dark that we could barely see the castle anymore. :mrgreen:

Most reactions

Back