typical grandpa shot??? Please Critique!!!

schumionbike

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey everyone, I am really looking for critique on this picture on everything you can think of. Don't hold back!!! I'm also posting exif info if that's any help to anyone.

Chuansgraduation162edited4x5.jpg

The camera was also mounted on a monopod.
Flash Used: Yes (manual)Focal Length:(35mm equivalent: 38mm)Exposure Time: 0.077 s (1/13)Aperture: f/2.8ISO Equiv.: 400Whitebalance: AutoMetering Mode: matrixExposure: ManualExposure Mode: ManualExposure Mode: Auto bracketing

I hate to be brutally honest, but it looks like a snapshot with a point-and-shoot camera. Though you say it's f/2.8, that doesn't look like a DOF that would be produced by that aperture and the wide brush of focus really doesn't focus the viewer on much of anything. The lighting is relatively unremarkable and the shadows moderate to harsh in places. The framing is OK, but ... it's an old guy reading a magazine with a pretty blank look. Uninspiring. The framing is OK, I guess. Follows the rule of thirds, mostly.

Sorry.

The moving person in the background is distracting. Maybe if you could have got a shot of him outside smiling and looking at you so his eyes are open.

hey, Rufus5150
thanks for the comment. For some reason, I always see older grandpa sitting around reading newspaper so that what I had in mind.

Regarding the broad focus of the picture, how would you narrow the focus on the camera? Zooming in with a 2.8 f stop usually work but couldn't be done in this case due to the light. I probably should have put it on spot metering, would that help with the focus? I'm probably missing something right?

This was taken on a point (kodak z710) and shoot so the f2.8 is more like f=11. I'm just trying to improve with the given equipment.

hey maytay20,
I wasn't trying to go for the normal style portrait, more of a photojournalistic kind of thing. That and it was darker outside, lol. Thanks for the comment though.

I hate to be brutally honest, but it looks like a snapshot with a point-and-shoot camera. Though you say it's f/2.8, that doesn't look like a DOF that would be produced by that aperture and the wide brush of focus really doesn't focus the viewer on much of anything. The lighting is relatively unremarkable and the shadows moderate to harsh in places. The framing is OK, but ... it's an old guy reading a magazine with a pretty blank look. Uninspiring. The framing is OK, I guess. Follows the rule of thirds, mostly.

Sorry.

yes.

I disagree. I think that the lighting is what it is. No way to use the rule of thirds. Maybe a faster ASA to get rid of the blur in the background, but it is too late now. And it is a snap shot. You take what you get. It get back to what your intentions are and taking or not taking an unperfect shot that presents itself.
JMHO
Judge Sharpe

No way to use the rule of thirds.

The grandfather's face falls in the upper right intersect if you divide the photo according to the rule of thirds. Whether it was used, or cropped to use, it ended up that way. :)

Regarding the broad focus of the picture, how would you narrow the focus on the camera?

I don't know how to use your camera :) I know that P&S are notorious for having wide DOF. I'm not sure anything can be done.

probably should have put it on spot metering, would that help with the focus?

It might have but the room looks fairly well lit. It might not have that different a result using one metering type over the other.

It's a nice clean snapshot. I'm not sure you could make it into more than that given what you had to work with (lighting, subject, camera, etc).

The grandfather's face falls in the upper right intersect if you divide the photo according to the rule of thirds. Whether it was used, or cropped to use, it ended up that way. :)

I don't know how to use your camera :) I know that P&S are notorious for having wide DOF. I'm not sure anything can be done.

It might have but the room looks fairly well lit. It might not have that different a result using one metering type over the other.

It's a nice clean snapshot. I'm not sure you could make it into more than that given what you had to work with (lighting, subject, camera, etc).

thanks for the comment, it is very helpful.

Thanks to everyone else too, your comments keep me honest, lol.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back