Typical head shot portrait lighting is just unflattering to my skin

Velz

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
My friend is into film and photography (he's sort of just getting into photography) but he has a lot of professional lighting he's bought for film that he uses for the photos. Tonight we were doing a headshot session, we had the key light in front, 2 lights in the back at 45 degree angles, head light.. Basically what i am finding is the typical lighting set up recommended in diagrams I see online just does not do wonders for my skin. I have slight discoloration around my eyes and nose (naturally) and the harsh white lights really bring it out. Also, I have a very thick beard and even though i shaved, you can see every single one of my hair follicles growing in.

Now let's say if I'm int he bathroom in my house, we only have a light on the ceiling, not in front of the medicine cabinet. In this sort of lighting, you cant really make out the blemishes, I dont look like a ghost, and the stubble is all hidden.

So I'm just curious if anyone can recommend a lighting setup that can do my skin some justice.

Hi and welcome to the forum.

It sounds to me like you're getting too much specular reflection, iow the light is harsh enough and strong enough to reflect the flash tubes directly off your skin.

Try using a soft box or bouncing the strobe off a large white surface.

Having professional equipment does nothing for the results unless someone knows how to light. Was the light softened? What angle and height was the key light? What was the fill ratio? Was there any fill?

Having professional equipment does nothing for the results unless someone knows how to light. Was the light softened? What angle and height was the key light? What was the fill ratio? Was there any fill?

Key was about 5 feet to my left at about 45 Degrees, had blinders over it but no diffuser. Did have another light directly opposite at a lower angle with diffuser. I have no idea about the fill ratio or any of the technical stuff.

If you want to soften the look, you need to soften the light. To do this, you must turn it into a bigger, broader light source (umbrella, softbox, bouncing and so forth).

Remember, the smaller the light source (like a flash), the harsher the light. Harsh light brings out details, which is what you don't want. Large light sources (like an umbrella or softbox) tend to soften light and diminish details.

Good luck.

It sounds though like the shots were good and sharp if you were able to see the whiskers in that kind of detail.

Stinks knowing what we really look like sometimes. :blushing:

Key was about 5 feet to my left at about 45 Degrees, had blinders over it but no diffuser. Did have another light directly opposite at a lower angle with diffuser. I have no idea about the fill ratio or any of the technical stuff.

Sounds like a pretty poor lighting setup to me. Blinders, or barn doors, do nothing to alter the quality of the light. They only change what the light does and does not hit. It's of no surprise that hard light from that kind of angle would look pretty bad opn you. It would on most people. Diffusing the fill light does very little to help out the situation. It is the key light that should be diffused, if you want to get something that is ore forgiving on any blemishes, and will give an overal more appealing look that way.

Now that your friend has bought all sorts of professional lighting equipment, have him spend a few extra dollars on a book.

Sounds like a pretty poor lighting setup to me. Blinders, or barn doors, do nothing to alter the quality of the light. They only change what the light does and does not hit. It's of no surprise that hard light from that kind of angle would look pretty bad opn you. It would on most people. Diffusing the fill light does very little to help out the situation. It is the key light that should be diffused, if you want to get something that is ore forgiving on any blemishes, and will give an overal more appealing look that way.[/QUOTE]What he said ↑ - plus, the light has to be modified to make it appear a lot larger.

The hard light was causing a show at each hair follicle of your beard, which is what made look so bad.

Ok....let's see the shot. Its time to come clean. :hugs:

Some good ideas here. The basic is natural light usually has one light and a load of reflecting surfaces. Bounce one main light off of a white sheet for example and have another sheet as a reflector and one on the floor to knock off shadows under eyes. Just one light and bingo watch what happens

Most reactions

New Topics

Back