Typical What Should I Buy Thread .... Canon zoom lens

While everyone loves the variety of Canon 70-200 fxx L lenses, I picked up their predecessor, a mint-condition, used 80-200 f2.8L (aka, magic black pipe) from a Japanese seller on Ebay a little over a year ago. As I don't normally shoot in that range, I only used it for a few shots here and there, outdoors. So, I finally decided to give it a workout in the past week or so...at an indoor event at church. JAW DROPPING SHARP!!!! Even wide open, the results are phenomenal! I'm almost tempted to say "move over, 135 f2.0L"... At $750 then, and it's a bit lower priced now, it was a bargain of a lifetime in my book! Of course, the seller has a rating over 12000 and I don't recall if it was 100%. If not, it was very close. From the pictures, it looked like the lens had been mounted only a few times, as evidenced by the condition of the contacts.

Well money is gonna stay in the bank for another month and then I'll have about double to spend on the lens and get something better than I can get right now.

Please tell me where this bank is. I have several Large that I'd like to double....

hahaha doubling is done by adding more funds ... I wish it would just randomly double without me putting any more money in

OP, how much experience do you have in photography?

If you're a relative noob, then I'd urge you to take the recommendations of more serious/experienced people in the proper light. What they call "crappy sharpness" or whatever may not be the least bit objectionable to you; at least, not yet, while you're developing a taste for the craft.

I'm fairly new to this, about 15 months in, and I use the 55-250 regularly. I have been very happy with my results most of the time. The times I haven't been happy, it's been due to my technique, not the hardware. I could upgrade tomorrow if I wanted to but I'm in no hurry, because I still feel like the limiting factor in my results is me, not the gear.

It would be one thing if going a tier higher on the quality ranks were inexpensive, but it's not at all. There will always be expensive toys available to buy if you determine conclusively that the "low brow" gear cannot do what you require, so what's the rush? Something to think about.

55-250 I shot with for a while. It's ok. I was satisfied with it until I bought a 70-200 L glass and that's when I really noticed how much a difference a high quality lens can make.

My advice is to save your money and get the better lens. Ian still relatively new to photography also.

I got my 70-200 f/4 for a bargain price. You can find them at good prices if you are patient and know where to look

I have the 55-250. Its okay...not as sharp as my 50 1.4 (obviously)

IMG_2248.jpg

IMG_3034.jpg

IMG_6084.jpg

I've only been shooting for about a year now so I don't have alot of experience at all. I usualy consider myself no better than someone that is just picking up a camera for the first time. The 55-250 might be the choice I make for now. Unless I can some how sneak the L series stuff past the girlfriend.

I hate to post this again as I posted this in a similar thread, I have a 70-200 f/4 L-series (non-IS) in the Marketplace for $525 shipped and insured. It's a great (mint condition) lens, I just upgraded to the 2.8 due to my low light desired shooting.

While everyone loves the variety of Canon 70-200 fxx L lenses, I picked up their predecessor, a mint-condition, used 80-200 f2.8L (aka, magic black pipe) from a Japanese seller on Ebay a little over a year ago. As I don't normally shoot in that range, I only used it for a few shots here and there, outdoors. So, I finally decided to give it a workout in the past week or so...at an indoor event at church. JAW DROPPING SHARP!!!! Even wide open, the results are phenomenal!

I second that emotion, as the song goes. I snagged my Magic Drainpipe for $435 about a month ago. But I've had my eye out on eBay for two years to find that deal. Date code of 1991. It's a bit worn but the optics are fine and the colors and IQ, as you've noticed, are astonishing. I'm waiting for all this brown crap to turn green around here and really get out with it but the few dozen shots I've done with it prove it to be worthy of the reputation it has. Now, if it only didn't weigh a ton compared to my 70-200 f/4... :(

I hate to post this again as I posted this in a similar thread, I have a 70-200 f/4 L-series (non-IS) in the Marketplace for $525 shipped and insured. It's a great (mint condition) lens, I just upgraded to the 2.8 due to my low light desired shooting.

Would that be shipped to Canada? Also can you PM me some pics so that I can see the confition of the lens?

Would that be shipped to Canada? Also can you PM me some pics so that I can see the confition of the lens?
Unfortunately you're a tad too late, I've listed it on eBay. You can check out the auction here, bid at your leisure. The price of $525 shipped and insured was within the US but if you won the auction we could work something out, not sure how high it will go.

Canon 70 200mm F 4 0 L USM Lens 082966214202 | eBay

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Most reactions

Back