U.S trip

Fort Lauderdale. I have some pictures of the most AMAZING yachts.

I think it would be best to see the east coast and then fly over to LA and make your way up the pacific ocean. I wouldn't deal with driving through the mid west.

Yes, but the original poster said that he wanted to see the US, you'd have him skip 90% of it. In my opinion, the Huge Cities (NY, London, Paris, Tokyo, etc.) are never representative of the country they are in. They're almost like a parallel universe unto themselves. LA is just... LA. There's nothing like that in any universe, I'd bet. They're absolutely places to see, but they're not (to me) the US. But that's what's great about it... there's always something different to see.

Yes, but the original poster said that he wanted to see the US, you'd have him skip 90% of it. In my opinion, the Huge Cities (NY, London, Paris, Tokyo, etc.) are never representative of the country they are in. They're almost like a parallel universe unto themselves. LA is just... LA. There's nothing like that in any universe, I'd bet. They're absolutely places to see, but they're not (to me) the US. But that's what's great about it... there's always something different to see.

That is true, but for a month in half its hard to see the whole US. I think if u see the main city you will get a good mix of diffrent cultures and places. I have never driven accross the whole US but ive been around the pacific coast and south west. And lets say you drive from La to Seatle it will take you what 16 hours, in those 16 hours you would hit maybe 3 or 4 interesting places not counting the main cities.

Sorry i might be ruining the plan for him, its just how i feel. I've been known to be wrong alot of the time, even if i dont want to admit it lol.

WAaaouuuh somany comments, thank you each of you, specially the one who took so much of their time to give me very interesting advise and feeling about this trip.

Iron Flatline: You comment about the business card make me really smile. Because I had exactly the same idea, but just for this trip to US.
In any other place ( Asia, EUrope, India) I have never used this , but I had the idea to have this ready-to-use for US as the ultimate justification :mrgreen:

Just to give some clarification , I think I will not pass through mountain and national park, because even if I know it s amazing place, I am not attracted by wild nature.. I guess it s difficult to understand.
Again thank you all.;)
Mat

Hi everyone :)

Just to tell you that I do not have the vacation I expected, I only get 10 days that I will spend in New York from 22 march to 2 of April.
I hope I can post very soon some pictures of NY.

Mat

I would start in NY, hit the major cities such as Boston/Philadelphia/Chicago (since you mention street photography) and then head west. South of there are the Carolinas, and plenty of people have mentioned their beauty, but out west there are some breathtaking scenes. Spend PLENTY of time in the Grand Canyon, where (I hear) there are literally hundreds of photography spots. Then the big lights of Vegas would be great, and there are plenty of helicopter services that could give you the ability to shoot some decent over head shots at night...

Out West, don't miss San Francisco and the Golden Gate bridge. Go in the morning and right at sundown. Again, I've never been there either, but I hear great things.

I also agree with the notion of skipping Florida. I am in Florida, Tampa Bay, but it would take a week off your trip to really made it down here, and there is just so mcuh more interesting history and scenery elsewhere.

If I could photograph, say 10 places in the USA it would be:

NY CITY
Chicago
Boston (Old churches)
Maine/New Hampshire - lighthouses...
Carolinas
Colorado/Grand Canyon
Vegas
Arizona
San Francisco
Los Angeles

I would encourage you to visit the Everglades, but as mentioned that's quite a jaunt to the South. There is nothing else like the Everglades anywhere else on earth so consider it. If you're into birds you can't miss it!

Also don't try to see too much or you'll miss it all... pick a few areas and focus on them.

Just to tell you that I do not have the vacation I expected, I only get 10 days that I will spend in New York from 22 march to 2 of April.

Mat

You will have some time to get out of NYC.
Take Amtrak along the coast to Boston andor out along Long Island.

If you come during college football (american) season, I would strongly recommend swinging by some major 1A school campuses on saturdays, during games. Especially in the south, I live In knoxville, TN and game days are HUGE here. 109,000 fans in orange is really something to experience. Its a big part of american life that is over looked in forgien countries. Anyways, good luck buddy

P.S. watch out where you go in memphis, and stay off the LA freeway ;)

I would encourage you to visit the Everglades, but as mentioned that's quite a jaunt to the South. There is nothing else like the Everglades anywhere else on earth so consider it. If you're into birds you can't miss it!

Also don't try to see too much or you'll miss it all... pick a few areas and focus on them.

True but watch out for the baseball sized flies, and the other blood sucking creatures there lol. that place seems like hell on earth in the hot summer

That sucks you only have 10 days, but at least you have 10 days haha. I do strongly recomended you coming out to the west some other time.

-oleg

I live near what is considered a major city (Atlanta) with the world's busiest airport. I have t osay I would spend the 10 days in new yourk, and maybe stop by Las Vegas, Nevads on your way west but mainly stay out of the big cities, there's nothing special about them other than large buildings. They are however, quite dangerous and busy. I personally think that photos in the country are great. Old style towns, trees, rivers, woods, ect. are better. Cities make for good far away cityscape pics (views of the whole city), and some industrial things like wire bridges are nice, but I think that the cities are overrated. Depending on how developed your are is though, they may amaze you.

New York is okay, and LA is like NY with plastic surgery, and a low IQ. :)

Hey! I resent that!!!! but laughed hysterically at the same time... :greenpbl:

Anyway, good luck on your trip! Do you know how to change a tire?....just in case.... but hope you don't go through any problems! also... do you plan on staying in hotels/hostels/motels? throughout your trip... have you heard of couchsurfing? it might help you ease your costs - and you get to meet a bunch of really cool people that would probably show you around their town. Im going to france in the summer - so using that website to meet people to show me around...but ive used it before and its definitely trustworthy.

Even with 10 days you can hit several major cities. Boston, Philadelphia, Washington DC, Chicago, etc are close via plane and round trip flights are somewhat cheap. I would suggest that you hit at least one other city during your stay, I would suggest Boston or DC. You could get a round trip ticket from NYC for less than $200US. I LOVE Boston because it is a great city to walk around, DC not so much. Either one is a "target rich environment". And for Boston you can take a train which might be cool.

Good luck and have fun.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back