Ugg, why did they wear white when I asked them to wear bold colors....

luvmyfamily

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
What could I have done differently to improve these since they wore white?

paula.jpg

paula11.jpg

Holy soft skin batman! White shirts are easy, its when they wear red in a green forest that you'll want to shoot yourself.

Added a kicker in the first, I don't know if thats a hair light in the second or spill from something else. I would rather shoot matching white tops, than random bold colors. I don't see soft skin as posted above, I see out of focus on the first though, or more probably not enough DOF.

Holy soft skin batman! White shirts are easy, its when they wear red in a green forest that you'll want to shoot yourself.

This made me laugh soooo hard, I have tears!! LOL!!!! I know, I like the skin to be smooth. I don't like the oily skin look.........

Added a kicker in the first, I don't know if thats a hair light in the second or spill from something else. I would rather shoot matching white tops, than random bold colors. I don't see soft skin as posted above, I see out of focus on the first though, or more probably not enough DOF.

Yeah, knew it was out of focus, rather the little boy in the back. Practice makes perfect??

That's how I mostly learn. Practice practice practice

I'd focus on working on focus (hah) first, then color issues (orange on the back three, flat light on the front girl?) which are probably also lighting issues. Then I'd worry about post processing and outfits. Are you using continuous light + on camera flash?

I'd focus on working on focus (hah) first, then color issues (orange on the back three, flat light on the front girl?) which are probably also lighting issues. Then I'd worry about post processing and outfits. Are you using continuous light + on camera flash?

I use continuous lighting in my studio. I do not like using a flash (unless absolutely neccessary) because you can fix it easier if it's too dark, but harder to fix when to too much light. As far as focusing, I usually do pretty well, but did mess up the 1st one.

luvmyfamily said:
I use continuous lighting in my studio. I do not like using a flash (unless absolutely neccessary) because you can fix it easier if it's too dark, but harder to fix when to too much light. As far as focusing, I usually do pretty well, but did mess up the 1st one.

Is it a focusing issue or a DOF issue??

guessing a little of both, shot at f4.5 probably 4' deep or so on the subjects, I dont know how far away the camera was but it was shot at 35mm. If it was around 8' that would yield less than 3' DOF.

luvmyfamily said:

Megan, it was a DOF issue. I just looked back and I had my aperture set at f13! I took SO many pics of this group, I didn't re-set my aperture from the previous one, which is why the background was blurred...OK, so I am posting in the beginners section, what aperture would be best to not have a backround blur?

luvmyfamily said:
Megan, it was a DOF issue. I just looked back and I had my aperture set at f13! I took SO many pics of this group, I didn't re-set my aperture from the previous one, which is why the background was blurred...OK, so I am posting in the beginners section, what aperture would be best to not have a backround blur?

Well f/13 would've given you a huge DOF - none/little background blur. F/8 is probably a great starting point for studio work - then go smaller (higher f#). Distance also plays a big role. The closer you are (5" and under) the shallower the DOF (blurry background).

With a 35mm lens at f/8 and 8" away from your subject you will have around 6" of DOF so you could use an even smaller aperture like f/11 if you wanted/needed too.

luvmyfamily said:

Well f/13 would've given you a huge DOF - none/little background blur. F/8 is probably a great starting point for studio work - then go smaller (higher f#). Distance also plays a big role. The closer you are (5" and under) the shallower the DOF (blurry background).

With a 35mm lens at f/8 and 8" away from your subject you will have around 6" of DOF so you could use an even smaller aperture like f/11 if you wanted/needed too.

That helps a lot. I have another photo session Wed, 2 next weekend. I will try starting with F/8 and practice on my own kids first until I perfect it. I will have my kids stand one in front, one in back and mess with the settings until I have them both completely in focus. By the way, I prefer outdoor photography best, so I can't wait for winter to be over!

luvmyfamily said:

Unless you changed your exif data, it was not shot at f13...you were at f4.5

[Image]
Make = Canon
Model = Canon EOS REBEL T3
Orientation = top/left
Date Time = 2012-02-03 19:56:43
Artist =
Copyright =
[Camera]
Exposure Time = 1/60"
F Number = F4.5
Exposure Program = Normal program