Ugggg I need radio poppers for my speedlights...

You're right, in so far as an SB-600 can only be triggered optically by using Nikon's infrared CLS signal generated by Commander mode, and not optically just from the flash of a pop up or speedlight.

The SB-700/SB-800/SB-900 has what is known as SU-4 Mode that can trigger off the flash from any strobe light.

I may have to check on this again...but I recall the sb600s not going off unless the pop-up flash was up?

That is correct. What KmH is saying is that not any pop-up flash or speedlight will trigger the SB600, only the CLS signal from the camera (while the pop-up flash is up).

OK...:lol: I was gonna say...now I'm really lost!:lmao:

It's not really the triggers that determine the fastest shutter speed you can use....it's the camera. The max sync speed of those cameras is (I think) 1/250....so with most triggers, you are limited to that. Of course, you can go faster when you use Auto FP (high speed sync)....but that requires the flash to be on-camera or to be used in the wireless CLS system.

Question: Can the flash on the D200 act as a master for your off-camera SB-600s? If so, that's really all you need. Except that you may be limited to positioning your flashes within line-of-sight of the master on-camera flash....and sunny condition may be a hindrance.

So yes, this is where the Radio Poppers will come in. They piggy back the built-in CLS system and use radio communication, giving you more freedom because of the better connection between master & slave units.

But as V.I. is alluding to, if you can live with a max shutter speed of 1/250 while using off-camera flash...then you need not worry about this and can just use a cheaper trigger system.

What D200 shooting mode were you using? P, S, M, or A?
What mode was the SB-600 set to?
Were you using CLS in Commander mode to control the SB-600, because if your pop up flash was up you weren't using a radio trigger.

It sounds like the SB-600 was triggering on pre-flashes from the D200 and was going off before the shutter opened.

I use my camera in manual mode, the speedlight(s) in manual mode and these radio triggers: ISHOOT, PT-04 C Wireless Remote Radio Flash Trigger, with 3 receivers.

I was shooting in manual mode - M and using commander mode in my camera...sb600 was set to receive...can't recall setting...I'll have to check...but yes, it was going...it just wasn't going at the same time the shutter was going...so no light....my fiance researched and said that my d200's commander mode is not fast enough... ...my question to him was...then why was it that when the 50mm G was on the camera, it was going at the same time, and now that the 18-55mm is on there, it's off sync?...does the lens have anything to do with it?

Post photos so we can see the exif. If you're in CLS mode, can you go over the camera's x-sync? If so, that would cause the flash to not appear to be firing (most likely).

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
If the plash is not going off it is a connection issue, I think the sensor for the CLS is on the side of the SB600, I find sometimes I have to mount mine backward on a light stand and spin the head around to get a good signal depending on distance to the camera.
The D200 is fast enough, it uses the same commander mode as the D700 so that will not solve the problem. (Sorry if that was the excuse you were using to get the D700).

If the plash is not going off it is a connection issue, I think the sensor for the CLS is on the side of the SB600, I find sometimes I have to mount mine backward on a light stand and spin the head around to get a good signal depending on distance to the camera.
The D200 is fast enough, it uses the same commander mode as the D700 so that will not solve the problem. (Sorry if that was the excuse you were using to get the D700).

LOL...darn it.

Also, direct line of sight is not always needed when shooting indoors. I have placed one of my SB-600's behind my subjects using CLS with no problems what so ever. The issues arise when competing with the sun.

Cactus V4's are good triggers for the money, I am going to invest in a set myself.

p!nK

Most reactions

New Topics

Back