ugh- reshoot, wwyd?

McMommy

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So I have had about 35 free sessions for my mom's group friends so far, and actually am just about done with the free sessions. "Real" paid shoots are starting to trickle in, though I'm only charging a nominal fee ($50 for everything, including post processing and images on a DVD)

Anyways, one of the free sessions I did, I was TOTALLY off. The only one out of the other 35 that I just completely didn't bring my game. I was early, but they were about 15 minutes late. Then as I went to shoot, I realized I'd forgotten my battery AND memory card sitting on my computer desk at home! So I sent my husband home to grab it, and the family and I joked the whole time he was gone. I was absolutely mortified, but they were fine with it since nowhere did I intend that I was a pro... he came back with the guts of my camera, but by the then their 13-month old had enough of being where we were and she totally was impossible to photograph! Understandably so, too!

So this was probably my 27 or 28th session (remember, totally free!) and it was worse than anything I've taken on my camera. Just a totally awful session, all around. The best shots are overexposed and/or out of focus. She didn't smile at all, wanted nothing to do with the camera, etc. I stupidly showed the dad a couple of the photos because he asked to see them, and they did admittedly look okay on the LCD screen. But on the computer, there is motion blur and it's just not "there."

So I offered a reshoot, before they even saw the pictures, tried to be as gracious as I could about it. We've now gone back and forth, with her insisting that the photos are fine, because her husband saw them and they are fine, etc. She scheduled a day with me for next weekend to reshoot, but then emailed me today asking if she could pick up these photos today on a cd since "we never rescheduled her session." Even though she confirmed the scheduled date for next Saturday morning.

I just don't know what to do. I really, honestly don't want these photos to be distributed all over, with my name on them. They don't represent the quality of my work, they just show terrible photos, basically snapshots on a grumpy toddler day. Now that I'm starting to charge, I don't want to ruin the name I've just started to build! But I also don't want to piss her off or make her unhappy because she's in the same playgroup as I am.

I am incredibly frustrated!! I know it's my fault for taking poor photos, but doesn't that just happen sometimes? I tried to handle it gracefully and everything, and she was fine with reshooting on that day we took pics, since we both knew (obviously) that her child was not in the mood for photos. She was fine when we did reschedule and she confirmed... and now this??

What do I do???

So I have had about 35 free sessions for my mom's group friends so far, and actually am just about done with the free sessions. "Real" paid shoots are starting to trickle in, though I'm only charging a nominal fee ($50 for everything, including post processing and images on a DVD)

Anyways, one of the free sessions I did, I was TOTALLY off. The only one out of the other 35 that I just completely didn't bring my game. I was early, but they were about 15 minutes late. Then as I went to shoot, I realized I'd forgotten my battery AND memory card sitting on my computer desk at home! So I sent my husband home to grab it, and the family and I joked the whole time he was gone. I was absolutely mortified, but they were fine with it since nowhere did I intend that I was a pro... he came back with the guts of my camera, but by the then their 13-month old had enough of being where we were and she totally was impossible to photograph! Understandably so, too!

So this was probably my 27 or 28th session (remember, totally free!) and it was worse than anything I've taken on my camera. Just a totally awful session, all around. The best shots are overexposed and/or out of focus. She didn't smile at all, wanted nothing to do with the camera, etc. I stupidly showed the dad a couple of the photos because he asked to see them, and they did admittedly look okay on the LCD screen. But on the computer, there is motion blur and it's just not "there."

So I offered a reshoot, before they even saw the pictures, tried to be as gracious as I could about it. We've now gone back and forth, with her insisting that the photos are fine, because her husband saw them and they are fine, etc. She scheduled a day with me for next weekend to reshoot, but then emailed me today asking if she could pick up these photos today on a cd since "we never rescheduled her session." Even though she confirmed the scheduled date for next Saturday morning.

I just don't know what to do. I really, honestly don't want these photos to be distributed all over, with my name on them. They don't represent the quality of my work, they just show terrible photos, basically snapshots on a grumpy toddler day. Now that I'm starting to charge, I don't want to ruin the name I've just started to build! But I also don't want to piss her off or make her unhappy because she's in the same playgroup as I am.

I am incredibly frustrated!! I know it's my fault for taking poor photos, but doesn't that just happen sometimes? I tried to handle it gracefully and everything, and she was fine with reshooting on that day we took pics, since we both knew (obviously) that her child was not in the mood for photos. She was fine when we did reschedule and she confirmed... and now this??

What do I do???

First, I would take a deep breath. Exhale. ;)

Then.. I would step into her shoes for a moment. She knows that you are just practing with her family, and she's greatful for it. It doesn't matter *what* your pictures look like, they are still pictures of her family and they have great value to her for that simple reason. Of course it's OK for her to want them. She wasn't paying for a professional session.. she was helping a friend practice and getting more pictures of her family in the process.

If you don't want them to have your name on them.. Just be honest with her. Put them on a CD, and request that she just not say who did them. Archive them, print them in the family album..whatever she wants.. But no "marketing" with them. If you are sincerely concerned, get it in writing.

Other than that.. chalk it up to a lesson learned. I would also highly advice slowing down. 35 sessions already? I think the experience of shooting and practicing is great, but it really really slows the learning curve if you make yourself so terribly busy.

My advice would be to take one shoot per week at most. (Paid or unpaid... Although I think anyone who does pictures for somebody as a service deserves payment at the very least for their effort.) Brainstorm and write down your ideas and goals for the shoot in advance so you have something on hand to keep you on track. Spend one to two weeks pouring over every shot and editing it until you are absolutely satisfied and proud to claim it as your own. That gives you more time to focus, study, and grow without the pressure and drama.

That's my two cents anyway..take it for what it's worth. I wish you the best of luck and wouldn't mind seeing some of these supposedly "terrible" pictures =P I'll bet even if you don't like them, they still have some cuteness, or else she wouldn't want them. =)

Of the 176 photos I took, these are the only 3 that I think are decent. Thank you for the advice of slowing down, but I think I've been okay up till that day. The 35 sessions are in the last 4 months, and at this point, I really do feel confident about my basic ability to take pretty good photos. This morning was just completely off, something I can prepare for to avoid next time.

These are the ONLY photos of her looking in my direction, no matter that I was doing backflips and singing, making a total goofball out of myself. Again, they aren't terrible, and she sure is cute. But they aren't up to par with how I prefer my stuff to look like as a finished product. You can see my facebook page if you want to see the rest of my stuff, my style of shooting.
e010.jpg

e005.jpg

e021.jpg

See, not so good? I know the problems with these photos... I'm putting them up so you can see, this is not quality work. Not for what I want to be. For someone who has had a dslr for 4 months... maybe okay. But for someone who aspires to be doing this at least semi-professionally in the next 1-2 years? Not even close.

Well now what's done is done. :er:

She really wanted to be able to print out an 8X10 for her great-grandma, so I sent her those 3, made sure she knew I really wasn't very pleased with them. I told her we'll reschedule and take more and then her grandma can replace the 8X10 with a better photo.

So I emailed her those 3, and 15 minutes later, guess what's up on facebook, since that's "an easier way for her great grandma to see them." :er:

Lesson learned.

I wasn't trying to tell you that your pictures aren't good, or good enough to be shooting other people. But I can tell you from experience that if you slow down on the scheduled shoots you will see improvement coming more easily. I know how exciting it is to do pictures for other people, and the temptation to be out every single day shooting (or every few days averaging on your 35 shoots in 4 months). But when I started letting people know that my availability was one shoot per week, I felt less stressed to get things done in a hurry, and it really helped my pictures.

It's not too late to ask your friend to take the pictures off facebook. You took them free of charge- she could at least have the courtesy to respect your request. Especially since you are offering another re-shoot.

What do your contract terms say?

That the images I provide for her are free to be copied, shared, and distributed as she wishes, as long as they are not sold.

(Why isn't there a smiley that kicks itself?)

And I absolutely agree with you that it would be less stressful and allow for more learning, and more care. It would also allow me more time with my husband and son, as I'm a stay at home mom. How it is now, I'm trying to run a fulltime business (40 hours a week) on top of being a stay at home mom and wife, and it's definitely a challenge! I do appreciate the advice!

On your worst day your customer thinks the best of you and your work. I guess it could be worst.
Keep your chin up. When they start frowning at the pictures is when I would worry.

On your worst day your customer thinks the best of you and your work. I guess it could be worst.
Keep your chin up. When they start frowning at the pictures is when I would worry.

That's exactly what I was thinking. If they're happy, I wouldn't worry about it. It's good that you're offering a re-shoot. That shows you're honest. :)

i dont think they are so bad and i understand why you are upset because you think they dont reflect the quality of your work but hey you can learn from the whole experience plus you were honest with her telling her you're not very pleased with them and offering her a reshoot so just relax and do better on that reshoot.

What an adorable little kid :) I would watch for things like cutting off the hands and feet ;)

I would say that you offered a re-shoot... She seems satisfied with the shots that she could not have taken herself, and the price cannot be quibbled about.. You should not try to push the issue any further......

Put this behind you and get on with it.......... Everybody has some shots that are less than perfect but it is the preponderance of your work that will determine your reputation.. :D

I've had dozens of customers shoots which I personally hated the outcome, during film days, only to proof the work and have the client over the moon with the shots. Don't worry too much is my advice, its the clients child and you obviously captured something of the character of the child which they recognize and think they are good portraits, not technically good, but good as far as they are concerned. H

Most reactions

Back