Ugly speckled finish on many cameras

Treymac

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.joejohnsonphotography.net
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey guys. What is up with the ugly speckled finish on many cameras? It actually makes a slight degree in my deciding factor on which camera I want. The finish almost looks like somebody had a spray paint gun in the air and it landed on the camera. Flat smooth finishes are so much nicer. What do you guys think on this look?

who cares how it looks? It's easier to grip, especially on lenses.

flat and smooth -> less grip, you might see every fingerprint, every little scratch looks like a nightmare.

oh, and in case you are talking about light plastic, that looks horrible flat and smooth :p

to my view, what really makes cameras ugly rather than the finishing (and here I might agree) is the color... those silverish plastic bodies are just horrible! and they have lenses as well. I know it sounds stupid and you'll suspect that it's not precisely photography I'm interested on, but I would feal uncomfortable with one of those bodies...

the looks of a camera matters. It's something to consider when you think on its design, which is something that definitely matters. In this sense, an old MF body, with leather covering (which you can customize nicely, by the way), is far above any newer design.

I agree with the silver finish, It's impossible to take anyone seriously using a silver camera, unless it's an old Nikon F, now that's a camera that I dont' mind being silver.

After reading this thread, I realized that I have no idea if my camera is smooth or spotted. I know it is not silver.

Smooth or spotted, I love it just the same.:hug::

I agree with the silver finish, It's impossible to take anyone seriously using a silver camera.

How about a gold one? It's Mr. T's camera of choice. I pity the fool who doesn't take Mr. T seriously as a photographer.

f2goldSoberWongmdm.jpg

Or how about a transparent one? It's impossible to take someone seriously using one, because you won't know they are. Can you be sure the invisible man isn't taking snaps of you in the shower?

Z-10_transparent-ii.jpg

:lol:
http://www.bdimitrov.de/kmp/bodies/photos/Z-10_transparent-ii.jpg

WOAH!!!

That gold is DELUXE!

Talking about finish, does anyone know why Canon switched from the black finsh on there telephoto-zoom L lenses to the beige finish? They look much less conspicuous in black.

I agree with the silver finish, It's impossible to take anyone seriously using a silver camera, unless it's an old Nikon F, now that's a camera that I dont' mind being silver.

Hasselblad-H3D_440.gif

yeah, only noobs use silver bodies ;)

personally, more than the silver bodies, I dislike white lenses. It is really annoying to me that Canon has so many white L lenses.

personally, more than the silver bodies, I dislike white lenses. It is really annoying to me that Canon has so many white L lenses.

actually, I really like them being white-ish ;)

I wonder why it is only the larger Ls .. probably it is about heating up in the sun?

Also, a lens wit ha really wide front element - like the f/2.8 tele lenses - looks by far less aggressive in white than as a black heavy thing. People who do know nothing about photography are usually more scared by those black monsters than one painted in white.

Hasselblad-H3D_440.gif

yeah, only noobs use silver bodies ;)

;) you knew what i meant...

665_rebel_xt_silver_flash.jpg

a silver body with a white lens will really look strange I guess...

Most reactions

Back