Ugly speckled finish on many cameras

I've always been taken aback by the change in camera colors. The first black cameras were just painted black and the work "pro" always preceded the the word "black" in the description. Now they are black plastic. For some reason, pros were supposed to get black ones and amateurs silver ones, I guess. It was so successful, virtually all serious cameras are now black so the fashion changed completely.

Strangely, I always thought of black as a bad color for a camera. Instead of brassing we got chips in the paint that looked worse than the brassing and we got brassing just the same. Also black absorbs more sunlight so the camera will actually get warmer than a silver one on a sunny day. It seems to me it should be the other way around. Black should be for amateurs and silver for pros. If gave a hoot I would do something about it but I don't care at all.

I don't care if the camera is purple or puece.
If it is quality ill use it but then Ive never gave two sh**s about fashion anyways.

I agree with the silver finish, It's impossible to take anyone seriously using a silver camera, unless it's an old Nikon F, now that's a camera that I dont' mind being silver.

I don't mind any metal body being silver -because it's metal. True I normally like them better painted black, but of course I like them silver.

What I don't like (in fact, I really dislike) are plastic bodies with silver finishings.

Esthetically speaking, there's nothing like a metal body with leather covering. Then the metal that shows can be either silver or black... bu definitely not gold! Those are just ugly! (and many anniversary models have been issued in gold, such as FA's, F3's...

I agree about the silver cameras. It's a lot easier to take someone seriously using a black Canon Rebel XT/i than a while one.

About the spotted finish, it is a lot better than a smooth finish. Fingerprints aren't everywhere, better grip on the camera, and better grip on lenses.

Thread reminds me of the Leica discussions on whether black chrome, brilliant chrome, or black painted are the best. hehehe lol.
even then... silver/chrome lenses or black?
even then... what color leather?

Those more fortunate design their own via Leica MP or M7 a la carte. (at a premium cost of course. I spec'd mine through the configurator at a big $4200 bucks.. whoa).
http://www.leica-camera.us/photography/m_system/leica_a_la_carte/configurator/

Pentax did gold as well.. 18 carat gold w/ leather snake skin.. pretty gaudy:
http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography/hardwares/classics/pentaxlx/Pentax_LX_Gold/index1.htm

One of the most visually pleasing looking camera I have seen:
http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography/hardwares/classics/pentaxlx/pentaxy2k/htmls/index.htm

The best finish I like is black paint on brass.. the camera itself will tell a wonderful unique store with ages of use:
http://photo.net/bboard-uploads/009taC-20169884.jpg

In the end... it doesn't really matter.. does it.

You're not wrong. The millenium LX is my dream camera.

Frankly you should be ashamed of yourself. Don't you know how dangerous it is to link to that website? People could spend the rest of their lives drooling over Nikon rangefinders. It's too late for me, save yourselves! :lol:

I brought the Nikon F100 because of that site! ;) (Someone else introduced it to me.) :)

Its funny that some people should get affected by robust digital SLR cameras...A digital SLR camera should be robust with textured design surfaces and tough black finishing IMO! :thumbup::thumbup: (A digital SLR camera must also be heavy, solid feeling, and comfortable to hold and operate IMO!! - A Digital SLR has to be different from those sissified point and shoot cameras!) :D

If you honestly can't take someone seriously because they are using a silver bodied slr, or let's be specific, an entry level dslr, then I think you seriously have your head in the wrong place. If anyone wants to give me a silver rebel xt, I'd gladly take it, and use it professionally. If you don't take me seriously, fine. My goal is to get the best images I can get, not to impress other photographers.

Haven't we all gotten over the "equipment makes the photographer" thing already?

in case nobody knew this, the canon lenses are white to absorb less heat when using it in the sun , such as at a sporting event , for long periods of time. but also they probably do it to make me jealous....

in case nobody knew this, the canon lenses are white to absorb less heat when using it in the sun , such as at a sporting event , for long periods of time. but also they probably do it to make me jealous....

So stick one of these on your Sony :lol:

Most reactions

Back