UK Police Threaten Teenage Photojournalist

Goontz

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I looked only briefly, so sorry if this has already been posted. It seems that UK police are still generally unclear on photographer's rights, and still haven't caught on to the fact that assaulting photographers isn't the best idea.

Photographer's Blog: The Romford Incident Jules Mattsson

Register: Romford coppers try to stopper young snapper ? The Register

Independent: Officers claim they don't need law to stop photographer taking pictures - Crime, UK - The Independent

British Journal of Photgraphy: Young photojournalist detained for army cadet pics - British Journal of Photography

People so often make problems of photography. As an photographer you have the duty to use photo's in a sensible way. Not posting false comments under peoples pictures and such. But these days people are overly suspicious of camera's and the use of the photo's. Even when your not taking their picture they start yelling that they don't want to be photographed and such.

I really feel for this guy and I hope he gets his apologies from these officers!

I have heard that it is completely illegal to take pictures of the police. However the police have no problem with 2 million video cameras on the people.

I think the police make us think its illegal hoping it will deter people enough. But in front of a court, they don't stand a chance. Read the independent article and see for yourself.

But as an photographer you can avoid a lot of problems by making sensible selections in your pictures. I only put pictures forward from which I know that parents/grandparents/children/friends/or whoever will call for a copy of the photo, because they like them so much!

I hope your right. But not according to the BBC. It is considered an act of terrorism.

BBC NEWS | UK | Is it a crime to take pictures?

That BBC article is from January 2009 and there is a new verdict by the court just this month about a similar incident.

I think this kind of incident will always keep popping up. The police is just not that happy with anyone taking there picture. I think they have their reasons but its also a culture thing. If all police officers start yelling at photographers, then the junior officers will likely copy their behaviour.

I have heard that it is completely illegal to take pictures of the police. However the police have no problem with 2 million video cameras on the people.
What you heard is not correct.

It is not illegal to take pictures of policeman, here in the US.

What you heard is not correct.

It is not illegal to take pictures of policeman, here in the US.

I know I was talking about the UK referencing the OP. However it won't be long.

It is not illegal in the UK either. The terrorism laws are so nicely written that scraping ice off your windscreen for your drive to work in the morning could be considered an act of terrorism.

The problem is that police keep prosecuting people for it, and the courts keep ruling in favour of the people. Just because the police say something doesn't make it illegal, even if they interpret the law in a way that they think makes it illegal. The metropolitan police are the only ones who seem to be getting this horridly wrong. You won't find anyone outside of London getting any trouble for the same stupid reasons.

Luckily not all police officers are bad.

A few years ago I visited a Scottish festival in Holland. There two officers were monitoring the event. One of the stand holders managed to convince the officers to wear kilts. And they let everyone take pictures of themselves. It looked really cool. Must have the pictures somewhere hidden on a CD in a box on the attic... (wait I don't have an attic!)

It is not illegal in the UK either.

That's fine you may be correct. But then the BBC is reporting is grossly inaccurate in this case. I guess I shouldn't believe everything I read in the papers.

The danger comes in reading only the one paper. News is written by people with agendas and sometimes with a little money changing hands under the table.

The BBC's interpretation of the law may very well differ from the courts. Heck for the most part one courts interpretation differs from another's. This is one of the fundamental problems in the way many of our stupid laws are written. With many shades of grey. :(

It really is shocking to read about these incidents.
In some regions photographers are chased down by a mob of angry-torch waving-townspeople (a little exagerated of course) whereas other regions give freedom and understanding to us.

I have heard both sides, about it being forbidden and it being allowed in the UK (never had much trouble in the USA), and even in China, if you ask the prior, they are mostly happy about a picture taken of them.

In Hong Kong, well, it really ain't a problem, unless you get a grumpy cop, and most parts of Europe it is alright unless you take a picture at a time the police might not want it (such as clearing a demonstration...).

But for the most part (in my humble experience) cops are more likely to cooperate with us photographers than the military folks are...

The police tend to try and make everything into a police state. The kid has every right to take pictures in public despite the ridiculous charges against him. He will win in a court of law and I hope he does.

Got to thank GWB and Blare for the ridiculous blanket terrorism laws that they can apply at will.

British police make me think of a funny phrase I heard; "stop or I will be forced to yell stop again."

In the US they just taze or shoot you.

Most reactions

Back