Ultimate Gnarly Tree in Cemetery

Ysarex

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I was out running errands with my wife. We weren't going to have time for dinner and decided to grab a burger on the way home. Didn't want to eat while driving so I said, "hey I'll just pull in over at that cemetery we pass on the way home."

And there it was: The ultimate gnarly dead tree in a cemetery and it was right there 5 miles from my house all this time. Here's a Google Maps link: Google Maps You can see the tree's shadow.

Now I just need to plan to go back when the weather is right.

Joe

gnarly_tree.jpg

That is a Beauty....

ken

I love how all the other trees in the background are grouped together like they are purposefully staying well away from it. Kind of like a bully in a schoolyard. Nice capture!

Nice! That would be phenomenal in IR!
I agree, what's better than a gnarly, old dead tree in IR. Great subject and image.

I bet it would be a great candidate for a moonlit shot and/or a nighttime shot with some flash illumination.

This tree has so much potential. I bet I could spend a morning there just working this one from all kinds of angles and close-ups; and the post processing possibilities - the mind boggles. I hope you get lots of opportunities to go back and photograph this one.

WesternGuy

Thanks All -- glad you like that one.

This tree has so much potential. I bet I could spend a morning there just working this one from all kinds of angles and close-ups....

That's why I checked Google Maps. It was 7:00 pm yesterday when I stumbled on it and took the photo above. The tree was sunlit and basically facing the setting sun from this angle. It's really the only clear angle where the tree is visible without other trees behind it and this angle puts me a little south west of the tree. So mornings I'll have the tree backlit by the rising sun and evenings it'll be front lit by the setting sun. Mid Summer it might be possible to catch the sunrise straight up through the tree.

Joe

Excellent. I would want to crop the sides a little and stretch the sky upward above the tree.

It might also be interesting to crop out the gravestones just to see what it looks like without their backup.

WesternGuy

Thanks All -- glad you like that one.

This tree has so much potential. I bet I could spend a morning there just working this one from all kinds of angles and close-ups....

That's why I checked Google Maps. It was 7:00 pm yesterday when I stumbled on it and took the photo above. The tree was sunlit and basically facing the setting sun from this angle. It's really the only clear angle where the tree is visible without other trees behind it and this angle puts me a little south west of the tree. So mornings I'll have the tree backlit by the rising sun and evenings it'll be front lit by the setting sun. Mid Summer it might be possible to catch the sunrise straight up through the tree.

Joe
Looking forward to seeing some of these shots.

WesternGuy

That is a very impressive and beautiful gnarled old tree! It is so,so interesting in its shape. And it looks BIG! It's an amazing photo-find.

That is a very impressive and beautiful gnarled old tree! It is so,so interesting in its shape. And it looks BIG! It's an amazing photo-find.

And a completely serendipitous find. If we hadn't been running late and decide to garb a fast food burger I'd have never seen it. I'm surprised the cemetery hasn't removed it as it looks like it's been dead for quite some time -- then again it's a good place to be dead.

Joe

Really nice shot! Makes me itch to take the Hasselblad and some Adox 25 out there with a red filter!

Sent from my LG-E980 using Tapatalk

Really nice shot! Makes me itch to take the Hasselblad and some Adox 25 out there with a red filter!

Sent from my LG-E980 using Tapatalk

Thanks, glad you liked it.

I used a red filter for this photo, but only applied to the sky. A red filter is a bad idea for the foliage.

Joe

Great shot and processing!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back