umbrella question(s)

Dmitri

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I have a transparent umbrella, which works well for shoot through. I lose a lot of light when trying to use it as a bouncy. I was thinking of getting one of them umbrellas with the detachable black backing.

Am I right that the black backing will stop the light loss and allow me to use the brella as a bouncy?

Any other thoughts before I buy one and one month from now say "Darn, why didn't I think of that!"? For example, silver vs white.

Next time you're on your way to the fabric shop to pick up some fabric to tie-dye some backgrounds, grab a couple of yards of (heavy) black fabric for your umbrella. On your way home, don't forget to stop by the Dollar Store to grab a few rolls of aluminum foil and velcro dots/strips. You can fashion any shape or size gobo for the brolley for a shoot through and you can line the inside with the foil and use as a reflective brolley. Easy peasy.

EDIT:
I saw the word "transparent" and decided to ignore it....... :)

Translucent lol ;)

I was thinking of upgrading to a 60"er anyway, my current is 33" I think. So if I do, I guess it's worth it for the black backing? I get (and like) the idea of the velcro dots and aluminum foil on the inside tho. I wonder if they sell reflective fabric.. hmm

I think reflective (bounce) is not as good as shoot thru. The whole reason we use an umbrella is to make the lightsource bigger and therefore the light is softer. I have several umbrella's 34" , silver reflective and translucent, I never use them. The only umbrella I use is the 60" as a shoot thru because the umbrella can be placed very close to the subject. Something you can not do with a bounce because you poke out eyes with the shaft. I use the black cover to get a 1/2 or smaller umbrella to feather it, for example to prevent spilling light to the background. I do not think the black cover works better for bouncing light, it only prevents spilling light. In both cases you lose some light but with shoot thru you can get closer and have therefore more power. (Inverse square law) Does this make sense?
Even more perfect is a brolly, an umbrella that covers your flash on both sides. But if you want real directional light with great control use a softbox. (For example the Westcot Apollo 28" or 50".)

I think reflective (bounce) is not as good as shoot thru.

Two totally different looks and I wouldn't say either one is better than the other as they both have their place.

A shoot through is still the same size as a bounce. The difference is, you can get a shoot through a good bit closer to your subject which creates a softer, less contrasty light.

As far as power goes, a bounce is almost always more efficient and has far less spilled light...youll need the "convertible top" for your "transparant" umbrella though. If you need more control of the spilled light, you can close your umbrella down over your light partially creating what some call a "poor mans soft box"...it actually works quite well. A shoot through sends light not only through it but still bounces a good bit the other way wasting some of the power. Its easy to think it doesnt suck up less power because you can move it closer to the subject, essentially giving you more light. Dont forget inverse square law... ;)

Last edited:
I have a transparent umbrella, which works well for shoot through. I lose a lot of light when trying to use it as a bouncy. I was thinking of getting one of them umbrellas with the detachable black backing.

Am I right that the black backing will stop the light loss and allow me to use the brella as a bouncy?

Any other thoughts before I buy one and one month from now say "Darn, why didn't I think of that!"? For example, silver vs white.

What you are looking for is called a "convertible". Photoflex makes a pretty reliable convertible that will last 20 years...I prefer them in white for color work....silver is fine for B&W shots, but might at times have more specularity than you might like.

Maybe I missed something obvious, but why not just get a second umbrella that is intended to be used as a bounce rather than trying to convert the one you have?

As far as power goes, a bounce is almost always more efficient and has far less spilled light...youll need the "convertible top" for your "transparant" umbrella though. If you need more control of the spilled light, you can close your umbrella down over your light partially creating what some call a "poor mans soft box"...it actually works quite well. A shoot through sends light not only through it but still bounces a good bit the other way wasting some of the power. Its easy to think it doesnt suck up less power because you can move it closer to the subject, essentially giving you more light. Dont forget inverse square law... ;)

Exactly what I was thinking :)

Derrel said:
What you are looking for is called a "convertible". Photoflex makes a pretty reliable convertible that will last 20 years...I prefer them in white for color work....silver is fine for B&W shots, but might at times have more specularity than you might like.

Photoflex is one I have been looking at. Seems to be a good price and a good name. I get your point regarding white vs silver, and as Kundy sort of says, if I ever actually do need silver, I can line the inside. Thanks Derrel.

A shoot through is still the same size as a bounce.

It is not the physical size that counts but the apparent size. That is why a shoot through is softer than a bounce because you put it closer to the subject. And yes using it as a shoot through will also spill light to the back. And I totally agree, both have their own use and depending on the situation you will have to decide what to use. That is why I like the 60" convertible, sometime I use two flashes to have 1 stop more light. In windy situations I can not use it, it is like a big kite that takes off very easy.

Maybe I missed something obvious, but why not just get a second umbrella that is intended to be used as a bounce rather than trying to convert the one you have?

If you have a convertible you can use it for both options AND you are able to feather the light, peeling off halve of the black top so it does not spill light in certain directions.

Then there is the brolly another "umbrella"A never ending story I like;
White Lightning: Professional Photographic Flash Units and Accessories they have something like that for our small flashes too.

A never ending story ;)

It is not the physical size that counts but the apparent size.

Depends who your talkin to... :lol:

:lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao: I'll have to remember that one! "come on baby, don't pay attention to the physical size - it's the apparent size that matters!"

Most reactions

Back