Umbrella Question

LilmaK

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hey am about to buy an umbrella and two flashes that are triggered by another flash...no cord. Can I use a flash inside the umbrella for fills etc...is that an ok idea? Can I work with the flash bouncing from the umbrella? I'm gonna use it for portaits mainly.

yes, from what i understand, you can use a flash with a umbrella.

it would be the same as using a strobe... ive also seen softboxes made to fit over flashes..

HTH

LilmaK said:
Can I use a flash inside the umbrella for fills etc...is that an ok idea? Can I work with the flash bouncing from the umbrella? I'm gonna use it for portaits mainly.

Sure! The umbrella is used to change the quality of light by scattering it. One way to think about it is... it's used to change a small, contrasty light into a larger, softer light.

Some other things do come into play when moving the umbrella closer or further from your subject, but this is a basic way to understand what goes on.

Pete

If you point your flashgun at a 3x5' board with crumpled, stretched, and flattened aluminum foil spray-glued on (iron it too), you'll have a D-I-Y 'softbox' for 3 bucks instead of 300...

Doubles as a reflector (just outside the FoV) to open up shadows.

Of course, like in all the other setups, you need a flashgun with plenty 'oomph'. GN 45 and higher advised.

Most reactions

Back