Umbrella vrs. lightbox

Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have decided on the alienbees b800 lights which I will get two of. I think that I would prefer lightboxes direct light over umbrellas but some people get one of each is there a reason for this. Would two lightboxes produce too much light? And if I get one of each would I not have more trouble getting rid of shadows?

I have talked to a few pros...who don't like or use umbrellas at all. They just spread the light around...which makes it hard to control. A softbox only shines light in one direction...and block out all others...so it's easier to control.

Umbrellas are an easy way to make the light source large...and that equals soft light. When using a softbox, the bigger the box, the softer the light...but big boxes get expensive.

Given the choice...I'd go for two softboxes, but that's me. The umbrellas are only $20 or $30 so you could easily add one to your order.

It depends on what you are shooting. Soft boxes are used more than anything and look great but sometimes an umbrella is what you really need. Go with the softboxes and experiment and then add an umbrella later.

Most reactions

Back