umbrellas and umbrellas

VaE39

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
hey everyone,
I've just recently started getting into portrait photography instead of urban/nature. I have 2 sb600's and I'm looking to get an umbrella. I'm thinking of something around 41"s. I want to start with one and see if I can utilize 1 before getting another. I'm not sure if I should get a white or silver surface or maybe a white surface that can also be a shoot-thru. Also, is a sb600 strong enough or do I need a stronger speedlight?

hey everyone,
I've just recently started getting into portrait photography instead of urban/nature. I have 2 sb600's and I'm looking to get an umbrella. I'm thinking of something around 41"s. I want to start with one and see if I can utilize 1 before getting another. I'm not sure if I should get a white or silver surface or maybe a white surface that can also be a shoot-thru. Also, is a sb600 strong enough or do I need a stronger speedlight?

Umbrellas are cheep, get em and play around. The silver will better utilize the low power of a speed light. The white will be softer and the shoot thru softer still.

There are times that my studio pack on its lowest power is too strong and I have to use a nd filter to knock it back. Get the umbrellas and play.

D.E.

I found a good deal where I can get 2 umbrellas with a removable black background, 2 light stands, and 2 adapters for under $100. But they are only 32". Does 32 to 41" make a huge difference?

Or should I stick with the higher quality 1 41" umbrella and use that first

The bigger the umbrella the softer the light will be...the bigger surface area means the light will be more diffused.

The size of the umbrella is determined by what you are shooting.

The smaller umbrella's are used for siongle head and shoulder shots.

An umbrella in the 40" range can do a 3/4 shot.

60' inchers are for full body and up to 2 people.

It's best to learn how to use 1 light well and then 'graduate' to 2.

A silver umbrella will give harsher light than white.

If you don't already have it get the book "Light: Science and Magic. An Introduction to Photographic Lighting" by Fil Hunter, et al.

Most reactions

Back