Umbrellas for Speedlights

Is it a shoot through or reflection style umbrella?

Edit: That brings up another question. When would I use the black covers for my umbrellas? I see the silver umbrellas, what is their purpose?

I didn't see these other questions you asked being answered.. so here goes!

When using your umbrellas for bounce / reflective, the black covers make them more efficient by reducing light loss

Silver umbrellas provide a more "specular" light... more constrasty, more defined highlights.... a less diffuse reflection of light, as it were! :)

Speaking of speedlights and umbrellas, on a reflective umbrella with a black back, does the speedlight need to point directly at the center of the umbrella where the bar attaches to the fabric for the light to reflect evenly, or is it okay for the speedlight to point half way or less from the center of the umbrella to the outer edge?

Just curious becuase my speedlights never seem to point directly at the center of the umbrella.

If you have your adapter right it will point closer to the center. If you don't, it'll point more towards the outer edge of the umbrella

So it sounds like I need to check my adapter and make an adjustment. I thought it was set up correctly. Thanks.

Most reactions

Back