Ummmm Craigslist?

Hey, she did ask for a quote at the end. Most people are uninformed when it comes to how much photographers think their work is worth. We hired a photographer for our wedding for quite a tidy sum of money, and my wife was pretty disappointed, considering people with PnS cameras came up with stuff that was pretty much just as good. Of course, we haven't seen the final work, just a blog preview, but I think that the days of people spending big bucks on wedding photographers are drawing to a close.

It might be time to start thinking about adapting. Maybe I'm wrong.

Sorry, I left out the last part of your post. I reminded her that I was booked for the year unfortunately, and that my base pricing was $2000 regardless of hours or number of photographers.
And that is the truth. I congratulated her on her engagement, and wished her very many well wishes. I was not rude in any way.
I would have referred her to other photographers who may of helped her, but I don't know of anyone under $1000 for what she is asking for. Even the beginners I know charge much more.

I don't quite see why you didn't suggest Craigslist. As long as you do it in a formal polite manner :lol: and cya: "I am sorry that I cannot help you with your special day. I have heard that you can sometimes find photographers to fit your budget on Craigslist. Please note that this in no way is to be construed as a recommendation of their work." :lmao:

This does however remind of an opposite kind of story. This was years ago and to give you an idea of rates at the time, I charged $1000 for the day of shooting which rarely went over 6 hours and I was up there price wise...

A woman called the editor of National Geographic looking for a photographer for her daughter's wedding. The editor tried to explain that his photogs don't do this kind of work but she keeps insisting that he passes the word around anyway. He agrees. Of course, everybody says "thank you but no thank you." So this one (who I won't mention by name :) ) tells the editor he will shoot it and hand over the films at the end of the day for $25,000...

Apparently this woman really wanted to be able to say an NG photogs was doing the wedding because she agreed to the terms. :lmao:

Unfortunately, Craigslist, for photographers, has a really bad reputation. No matter your level, if you post there, you are considered a cheapo, regardless of whethere it is true or not. It's like you are saying that the bride is a "cheap a$$ed loser". And that might well be true, but it's not exactly politically correct.

I don't quite see why you didn't suggest Craigslist. As long as you do it in a formal polite manner :lol: and cya: "I am sorry that I cannot help you with your special day. I have heard that you can sometimes find photographers to fit your budget on Craigslist. Please note that this in no way is to be construed as a recommendation of their work." :lmao:

This does however remind of an opposite kind of story. This was years ago and to give you an idea of rates at the time, I charged $1000 for the day of shooting which rarely went over 6 hours and I was up there price wise...

A woman called the editor of National Geographic looking for a photographer for her daughter's wedding. The editor tried to explain that his photogs don't do this kind of work but she keeps insisting that he passes the word around anyway. He agrees. Of course, everybody says "thank you but no thank you." So this one (who I won't mention by name :) ) tells the editor he will shoot it and hand over the films at the end of the day for $25,000...

Apparently this woman really wanted to be able to say an NG photogs was doing the wedding because she agreed to the terms. :lmao:
i hope those photos were printed on gold.....

Ahh Girl,

There are lots of Rockstars in my area who's base pricing is 20,000 and above. And they are worth it.

They don't need to print on gold. They are worth every penny if the client can afford it. They put out some of the most beautiful, timeless, artistic photos than any rich bride could hope for. They don't print on gold, but their photos ARE gold.

Well, I am not involved in the market directly, other than my one experience (which is not even complete yet), so that's why I included the last "maybe I'm wrong" part. In truth, my wife handled all of the wedding stuff, as I am working on a house for us to move into. She hired a friend who she has followed since she began taking photos. She was very familiar with her work. Also, maybe I was unclear in my description, but of course the people with point and shoot cameras were not taking consistently good photos... The thing is that the sheer number of cameras and sets of eyes guarantees a few really good shots in my opinion. Could we have counted on our guests to capture every important moment in pristine clarity, convey emotion, frame correctly, shoot with any kind of DoF effect, and all of this in a quality that we could print at a large size and hang on our wall? No, definitely not. Is it worth the money to guarantee all of these things? Maybe, maybe not.

I am glad to see that you have found a base of people who value this sort of work. I think that craftsmen are a dying breed. There is not a huge market for custom furniture, or fine leather work, or the like, because of huge stores peddling crap. Do I shop at Walmart for stuff? All the time. Am I willing to pay a little extra for something way nicer? Absolutely, as long as my bank account can bare it. Photography is the same.

Anyway, I am staying out of the whole thing, because I just want my wife to be happy. If she likes the photos that we get back, then I am a happy camper. Personally, I would never mix work and friends. I don't think anything good comes of it.

Ahh Girl,

There are lots of Rockstars in my area who's base pricing is 20,000 and above. And they are worth it.

They don't need to print on gold. They are worth every penny if the client can afford it. They put out some of the most beautiful, timeless, artistic photos than any rich bride could hope for. They don't print on gold, but their photos ARE gold.
:lmao:
did you just call me a girl

Well, I am not involved in the market directly, other than my one experience (which is not even complete yet), so that's why I included the last "maybe I'm wrong" part. In truth, my wife handled all of the wedding stuff, as I am working on a house for us to move into. She hired a friend who she has followed since she began taking photos. She was very familiar with her work. Also, maybe I was unclear in my description, but of course the people with point and shoot cameras were not taking consistently good photos... The thing is that the sheer number of cameras and sets of eyes guarantees a few really good shots in my opinion. Could we have counted on our guests to capture every important moment in pristine clarity, convey emotion, frame correctly, shoot with any kind of DoF effect, and all of this in a quality that we could print at a large size and hang on our wall? No, definitely not. Is it worth the money to guarantee all of these things? Maybe, maybe not.

I am glad to see that you have found a base of people who value this sort of work. I think that craftsmen are a dying breed. There is not a huge market for custom furniture, or fine leather work, or the like, because of huge stores peddling crap. Do I shop at Walmart for stuff? All the time. Am I willing to pay a little extra for something way nicer? Absolutely, as long as my bank account can bare it. Photography is the same.

Anyway, I am staying out of the whole thing, because I just want my wife to be happy. If she likes the photos that we get back, then I am a happy camper. Personally, I would never mix work and friends. I don't think anything good comes of it.

You sound like a super sweet guy and great hubby. I think your wife was well meaning. I am sorry that she was disappointed.

I'm sorry that the hired photog was unable, due to equipment or skill level, to pull off your wedding in a way pleasing to you and your wife. I congratulate your wife on being a good friend, but her friend should have notified her of her limited capabilities. It's very sad to me, because this isn't an everyday, or do over, thing.

And this is the exact reason, IMO, that people are returning to proven pros. A friend, however well meaning, can not pull off something as complicated as a wedding.

At the end of the day, there is a huge split on brides. Either they are spending an enormous amount with proven photogs, or they are really skimping.

If you are in my area, I will take some "day after" photos of you at no cost. I just want you to be happy.

Ahh Girl,

Yes. I just turned 46 and you are a kid. :)

Also, maybe I was unclear in my description, but of course the people with point and shoot cameras were not taking consistently good photos... The thing is that the sheer number of cameras and sets of eyes guarantees a few really good shots in my opinion.

I agree and for some people it is more than enough. My wife and I see a wedding as a celebration rather than a show and our wedding was even cheaper than that described by erose86 (we did a potluck buffet :lol:) We had no paid photographer and although a good number of the guests were pro photogs, we didn't ask them to bring any gear. Some brought P&Ss but most of our photos came from non-industry friends and we're happy as can be with the results.

To each his/her own.

I've read and been told many times that a wedding is so stressful that the B&G rarely remember much of it. I don't know if that is true but I can assure you that if my wife and I have forgotten some of ours, it should be blamed on the booze, not the stress :D

Ahh Girl,

Yes. I just turned 46 and you are a kid. :)
hey look im exactly half your age :greenpbl:
but thats not what i was referring to
im a guy :lol:

...keeping it as cheap as possible because my parent's aren't rolling in money either, :lol:

Not every one has the money to have a $40,000 wedding. But, more important to me, is the fact that not everyone cares about/wants a $40,000 wedding and I find it very annoying when all the "my sister wants me to shoot her wedding although I don't have any experience" threads are answered by "get a pro, she will regret not to" without ever asking what the situation is :grumpy:

Here's a funny story about my wedding. Because I worked with a lot of musicians then, we had a band, and because they were quite well known in our area, we had all the town's kids hanging off our fence to watch the show. We did not ask them to perform. It was their gift to us. How could we say no?

Unfortunately, their very politically oriented music is not to everyone's taste and most of our guest didn't care for it :lmao:

Sorry bennielou for highjacking your thread. I'll shut up now.

You sound like a super sweet guy and great hubby. I think your wife was well meaning. I am sorry that she was disappointed.

I'm sorry that the hired photog was unable, due to equipment or skill level, to pull off your wedding in a way pleasing to you and your wife. I congratulate your wife on being a good friend, but her friend should have notified her of her limited capabilities. It's very sad to me, because this isn't an everyday, or do over, thing.

And this is the exact reason, IMO, that people are returning to proven pros. A friend, however well meaning, can not pull off something as complicated as a wedding.

At the end of the day, there is a huge split on brides. Either they are spending an enormous amount with proven photogs, or they are really skimping.

If you are in my area, I will take some "day after" photos of you at no cost. I just want you to be happy.

Sorry, I am not explaining myself very well at all. To preclude the belief that her disappointment was due to anything that the photographer did, let me say that she was shooting with her husband (he was doing the table shots at the reception, and the easy stuff) and they were using 2 5dmkII bodies, and all the L glass you could shake several sticks at. She also takes really really nice photographs. They had all of the bases covered. The thing that was amazing is that other people were able to get equally amazing shots by accident. You can buy a G11 for like $500 and take really amazing photographs. This technology is becoming available to the masses, and more and more people are "oopsing" into really good photos. With 20-30 of these cameras snapping pics all day long, some of the photos were bound to be good. The disappointing thing was that even though it was a source of friction before the wedding, we decided to pony up the cash and pay this girl to take our photos. My wife was expecting leap off the screen amazing photos, and what we have seen so far I guess did not meet that expectation. I'm not sure. This girl has a different style than I like, so I'm not exactly talking her up either. Anyway, I hope I am explaining everything well. lol.

Sorry, I am not explaining myself very well at all. To preclude the belief that her disappointment was due to anything that the photographer did, let me say that she was shooting with her husband (he was doing the table shots at the reception, and the easy stuff) and they were using 2 5dmkII bodies, and all the L glass you could shake several sticks at. She also takes really really nice photographs. They had all of the bases covered. The thing that was amazing is that other people were able to get equally amazing shots by accident. You can buy a G11 for like $500 and take really amazing photographs. This technology is becoming available to the masses, and more and more people are "oopsing" into really good photos. With 20-30 of these cameras snapping pics all day long, some of the photos were bound to be good. The disappointing thing was that even though it was a source of friction before the wedding, we decided to pony up the cash and pay this girl to take our photos. My wife was expecting leap off the screen amazing photos, and what we have seen so far I guess did not meet that expectation. I'm not sure. This girl has a different style than I like, so I'm not exactly talking her up either. Anyway, I hope I am explaining everything well. lol.

I understand you, and I also feel bad about your experience.

Some of this is the camera. It's just a few clicks. But the main thing is to know 'WHEN" to press the shutter and why. And even more importantly how to set the camera to get ready for it.

All the L glass in the world doesn't matter if the photographer has no idea what to do with it.

Most reactions

Back