un-sharp mask

R.Robbins

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.picturetrail.com
How faris too far on the sharpining? Ive been following scott kelbys book on cs2 but some of my raw shots are coming out way to sharp for my liking also some look right on the screen but when printed look overly sharp is there any tips or settings people are using for unsharp mask ??? like for portraits, landscapes etc

You can scale it. Just to it to the point where you don't get any halo's or nasty outlines. You'll know when too much is too much.

The settings for unsharp mask depend, not only on your preferences, but on the resolution and size of the image. What you are sharpening could well be quite different from what the book author is sharpening.

This process doesn't actually sharpen anything. What it does is increase the contrast at the edges of things in the image. As you begin to overdo it, the edges actually become wider. When that happens you have gone quite a bit too far.

Take it easy and use your eyes. Don't worry about the book authors settings. Use what works with your images.

I think it also depends on the content of the image.
Certain subjects can take more sharpening than others but as has been already said - try it - you'll know when it's too much.

thanks for the feedback, I think my big deal is my shots will look ok , on screen but on the prints the background, and especially the background blurs seem way over sharpend, I use snap fish and clicked the box to not auto edit them but maybe they screwed up

Most reactions

New Topics

Back