"Unbaked Alaska"

DanOstergren

TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As part of my Summer in Ketchikan I am documenting my experience as an ongoing art piece called "Unbaked Alaska". Since I like to photograph people more than anything, the majority of the shots are portraits of my friends and co-workers here in Ketchikan. Here's a few of what I'd like to share so far:

$_MG_9602.jpg$_MG_9604.jpg$_MG_9608.jpg$_MG_9642.jpg$_MG_9491.jpg$_MG_9499.jpg$_MG_9556.jpg$_MG_9381.jpg$_MG_9422.jpg$_MG_9438.jpg

Last edited:
Interesting series; what's the underlying concept?
I quit smoking pot and drinking alcohol about a month before I moved here. Both were vices in my life that were affecting my art, and I had decided it was best to let it go. Not only is it a documentation of my sober experience here, it's also a personal reason for me to stay sober. My art is really important to me, and staying sober means I can be more productive as well as see this project out to the end.

I like all these but my favourites are 1, 2, 7, and 10.

1, 2, and 7 because they show the quirkiness of people and 10 because it's a good pose with the guy looking through the fence and with the patch of sunlight across his eyes.

Good work! Looking forward to seeing more - your decision was obviously a good one. :)

See, people in Alaska are cool!

Based on a couple of them, Half Baked Alaska would be a viable alternative title. ;)

These are really nice, and big congrats on your sobriety. I am part of that little club as well. :)

For me 1-4 and 7-8 are the strongest for this as a "series." 5-6 and 9-10 are stylistically different ... a bit too "fashion." Since this is a series based on personal experience, I think the candid and documentary styles work better.

Nice job!

I really like all of them, great work. There is something unique in each of the pictures you posted. It is not easy to stay on the narrow road but at least you have something to take your mind off all the "access baggage". Keep it up :)

I quit smoking pot and drinking alcohol about a month before I moved here. Both were vices in my life that were affecting my art, and I had decided it was best to let it go. Not only is it a documentation of my sober experience here, it's also a personal reason for me to stay sober. My art is really important to me, and staying sober means I can be more productive as well as see this project out to the end.

Best wishes on your journey. These are good photos.
:clap::clap::clap::smileys:

These are really nice, and big congrats on your sobriety. I am part of that little club as well. :)

For me 1-4 and 7-8 are the strongest for this as a "series." 5-6 and 9-10 are stylistically different ... a bit too "fashion." Since this is a series based on personal experience, I think the candid and documentary styles work better.

Nice job!
Thanks! Considering that all of these people are someone I've made a personal connection with here in Alaska, they are all part of the project. Fashion and documentation are two of my styles, so I don't see a reason to not include them in my "Unbaked Alaska" series. As well, it's an unfinished, ongoing series. The only ones that I wouldn't really consider a part of the series would be if I were hired to photograph someone, which is very rarely something that I am prone to doing. At least 95% of my photos are done as gifts and trade.

Best wishes on your journey. These are good photos.
:clap::clap::clap::smileys:
Thank you!

Most reactions

Back