Undecided on crop

Woodsman

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
This was shot on a late dull October day with some dark clouds coming in. I left it dark intentionally. What I cannot decide on is which I like the best, #1 with the yellow flowers or #2 with just the tractor. I like them both but keep leaning towards #1.

Attachments

• $Tractor 1.jpg
    $Tractor 1.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 52
  • $Tractor 2.jpg
    $Tractor 2.jpg
    113 KB · Views: 58
I'd like to see a third option. I like the shorter, rectangular format for this...but I'd want to see the tractor on the right side, with more space in front of it.

In general, it's usually a stronger composition when something that has a direction is heading into the frame, rather than out of it.

I just went back to my files and they were all shot with the tractor centred. I remember the tractor was at the top of a small hill in a new home construction area. There were things like septic tanks and such off to the side which I dd not want to get.

Heres the original (DSC file) and its the one I have with the most foreground. Is the crop what you were thinking of. I know these are small but they are from my catalog thumbs. The NEF's are in storage.

$DSC_4474.JPG$Tractor 3.jpg

I also prefer it with more space in front, but I also like more sky than your last crop, like this: (I also moved the flowers in front just to see what it would look like to keep them in the shot, but I think it would be fine with them cropped out as well.)
$52172d1376069884-undecided-crop-dsc_4474.jpg

I think there is enough room in front in the first and that it needs something on the right and in the foreground. I would crop it on the right just enough to remove that tall stalk behind the flowers.

I also prefer it with more space in front, but I also like more sky than your last crop, like this: (I also moved the flowers in front just to see what it would look like to keep them in the shot, but I think it would be fine with them cropped out as well.)
View attachment 52179
T
Thank you all for your suggestions, always nice to hear and to keep it in mind next time. I like this with the flowers moved. I need to get better with selecting and masking in photoshop. Something I have struggled with and have yet to master.

I completely agree with Big Mike. That said, sometimes a shot can move away from certain compositional expectations and still be good, and I'm not bothered at all by your first rectangular version. It would be terrific if you could play with the "moved flowers" idea and come up with something...but those muted colors in your first shot are gorgeous, so I wouldn't change a thing there! From your original files, you have plenty to work with...but I'd be pretty happy with what you've already done. ;) Just sayin'.

The devil made me do it....it's raining again for the 39th day in a row. Arrrrrrgggggghhhhhhhhhhhhh

$9475897438_51e4f0a405_o.jpg

I think the flowering plant is distracting.

Here is my crop:

$DSC_4474 - Version 2.jpg

Most reactions

Back