Undecided on equipment upgrades

I was not fully cognizant that the upcoming Canon 1DX was going to be priced at $8,300 US dollars....YEESH!!! And they are killing off the 1D at $4995 or whatever??? OUCH!!!
I heard that is was going to hit the streets around $6400. Sort of in-between the current 1D & 1Ds models.

ALL "Professional" lenses are pretty costly these days. Canon and Nikon both. Even Sigma has gotten onto the high-priced bandwagon. Sigma has DOUBLED its MSRP for its 70-200/2.8 zoom lens over the last five years; up from $749 to $1400 or so...that is a lot of money for a Sigma lens that will have lower resale value than a Canon or a Nikon 70-200/2.8 model. The Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8 lens MLeeK is suggesting is one of the best independent wide-to-short tele zooms ever made...Minolta subcontracted Tamron to make and market it as a Minolta lens....SOny has continued that...Pentax too I believe is having the 28-75 design built in their proprietary dress...it offers about 90% of the optical quality of lenses that cost $1,000 more money, and about 65-70% of the build quality. It has become a TRUE "Cult Classic Lens", just as Tamron's 90mm Macro has been for the last 25 years or more.

You could also buy a used Nikon 80-200mm f/2.8 AF-D lens for less than half the price of the Sigma 70-200/2.8 at new price.

Still,while cameras and lenses are nice--I think you need more LIGHTING GEAR and MODIFIERS!!!!

I was not fully cognizant that the upcoming Canon 1DX was going to be priced at $8,300 US dollars....YEESH!!! And they are killing off the 1D at $4995 or whatever??? OUCH!!!

For those who want REAL high-ISO performance, used Nikon D3s bodies ought to be hitting the streets fairly soon. $3,000 seems like a fair used price, maybe as low as $2750,cash.

The $749 sigma was a NON OS version. The current OS version debuted at about $1600 to $1800. the NON OS unit started out at about $749, then got an upgrade and jumped to about $900

Along with that, I'd invest more in lighting AND modifiers. If outdoor portraiture is your thing, then get some reflectors and flash gels, etc. You don't need a high ISO, high MP shooter for portraiture... just good light and good glass.

Still,while cameras and lenses are nice--I think you need more LIGHTING GEAR and MODIFIERS!!!!

Do I hear an echo?? :lol:

I heard that is was going to hit the streets around $6400. Sort of in-between the current 1D & 1Ds models.
I've seen $6800 somewhere too... Hopefully you are more right than the original figure I saw!

ETA: I see the canon website is now saying msrp of $6999

If it were me, I'd get a new 5d mkii with a new 24-105. For the kind of work you are doing, f4 is plenty fast enough given the types of ISO you can work with these days. Back in the day when ASA 100 Vericolor was the norm, we did just fine with our 2 1/4's with a f3.5 lens.

Along with that, I'd invest more in lighting AND modifiers. If outdoor portraiture is your thing, then get some reflectors and flash gels, etc. You don't need a high ISO, high MP shooter for portraiture... just good light and good glass.

Do I hear an echo?? :lol:

Lol, he's right, though. I do need more lighting and modifiers. I can't shoot newborns outside... well, I mean I COULD, technically... Anyway, I will be getting more lighting regardless... I can get that stuff in pieces and build my collection that way. I'm going to put aside $400 a month (would've been $600 but you salespeople talked me into spending more money on gear :p) towards lighting. So I should be able to get some good stuff soon enough. It would be nice to get it all at once, but I think for me, the only way I'll get the big ticket items is if I get them while I have a big chunk of money. I'm horrible at saving towards a goal when it's waaaay out of reach.

My trick for saving for a big ticket item: buy B&H or Adorama gift certificate/cards.

Let us know how the the Craigslist ad goes!!!

That's actually a really good idea!! I would've never thought of that. I'm anxiously awaiting for an email response, I'll let you know what he says. :thumbup:

Thanks for all of your help! You all gave me a whole lot of options to think about! My head might even explode! :lol:

I think your idea of the new 5d mk ii is the best. Cameras today have so many electronic components that used would not be an option for me. The 24-105 will more than my over your needs. Next summer I'm planning on upgrading my equipment too and I'm totally undecided on what to get. The rig you are considering is on my short list :)

Last edited:
Okay... so I finally decided on what to get. Well, mostly.

Purchased today: 70-200 f/4 L - I wanted to get the 2.8 IS but I figured I wouldn't use it as much as the other lens that I'm purchasing, so I'd give this one a shot and if I end up needing the extra stop of light or the IS (and like, twice the weight... gah!) then I'll sell it and upgrade at some point. (And I'd like to add that I'm someone that has trouble lifting a full gallon of milk so I thought maybe I should build some muscle before attempting to steady the heavier lens, lol!)

Will be purchased on Wednesday: 5D Mark II, 24-70 2.8 L, various lighting equipment/modifiers from Paul C. Buff. I can't wait until I can put it to work! I already sold my T3i on craigslist. I'm actually surprised that it sold so quickly, but I'm glad that I have that extra money to put towards lighting. After buying everything else, I should have a little over $1000 for lighting. I have two more monolights in my cart and some modifiers, but if anyone has any advice on what would serve me the best, I'm all ears! (or eyes?)

Congratulatons Kate. Your gonna make some great pictures....

Good choices. Best of luck with your business. Looking forward to seeing the portraits from your new gear.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back