Under the Bridge - Night Photo

rickyg

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
This photo was taken on one of many insomniac nights at 4am in Chicago:

nightbridgebz8.jpg

I have been working on nighttime photography and this is one of the shots i recently took. One of my concerns is that the right side is too bright in general and pulls the eye to a relatively uninteresting part of the photo. Any C&C on it is appreciated.

i looked at the "keep right" sign first, but can't stop looking at the right hand side of the photograph after reading your comment. i like it though, nice work

Yeah. I have a feeling I might have been obsessing about it a bit too much. Also in retrospect, should've not included that in the post.

Ricky... How are ya....

First I don't understand how you call the right side uninteresting, seeing how the left side is the same ??? lol.... you also put more emphasis on the right side by showing it larger in scale in the frame...

Personally I think the lighting adds to this photo on the right... brings out the shapes/ and pillars... Overall I think this is a nice shot of a street scene... lighting is good./ meaning exposure also...

Doesn't look like a place that I would want to walk around at 4 A.M. however....
I think its a nice shot and good use of frame with composition set up..

Ricky... How are ya....

First I don't understand how you call the right side uninteresting, seeing how the left side is the same ??? lol.... you also put more emphasis on the right side by showing it larger in scale in the frame...

Personally I think the lighting adds to this photo on the right... brings out the shapes/ and pillars... Overall I think this is a nice shot of a street scene... lighting is good..

Doesn't look like a place that I would want to walk around at 4 A.M. however....
I think its a nice shot and good use of frame with composition set up..

I agree! I even like the emphasis to the right side. Great shot!

I like the shot, right side is interesting and have to be ;)

I would maybe suggest to take the shot inline with the bridge pillars to see only the first one and a little bit forward and higher to remove the sewer plate.

I hope you can understand my comment in approximative english :confused:

Patrick... hmmmm , Let me be the devil advocate here... don't you think the sewer plate is a great part of a street scene?? I like it, prefer to even see a couple more thru the scene....

Patrick... hmmmm , Let me be the devil advocate here... don't you think the sewer plate is a great part of a street scene?? I like it, prefer to even see a couple more thru the scene....
That's why photography is so interesting, one shot, different persons, different feelings. :)

For me, I would prefer to exclude it, and to have the right sidewalk finishing exactly in the lower right corner. Remains both cases a very nice shot.

I like the shot, right side is interesting and have to be ;)

I would maybe suggest to take the shot inline with the bridge pillars to see only the first one and a little bit forward and higher to remove the sewer plate.

I hope you can understand my comment in approximative english :confused:

The pillars being in line is a good idea, it might add that extra bit of crispness to the shot. As for cropping it a bit tighter to take out the sewer cap, I considered that, but I just cant help but feeling it will make the whole image feel too crunched together.

I might go back and reshoot it so that the center pillars are more in line with one another.

Thanks!

P.S. Your english is fine =)

I really like that shot! The sign points toward the right and so it should - composition perfectly matches the message! Well done!

Oh, and I vote in favour of keeping that sewer plate, too!

Ricky... How are ya....

Personally I think the lighting adds to this photo on the right... brings out the shapes/ and pillars... Overall I think this is a nice shot of a street scene... lighting is good./ meaning exposure also...

Thank you for your kind words :). I guess what I meant to say was that I thought the right wall being so well lit was going to be the first thing to pull the eye rather than the sign, which is ironic, because it's exactly where the sign will send the viewer.

I was actually more concerned about the security guards from the nearby housing complex than I was about being the victim of crime :lol:.

Most reactions

Back