Under the Main Street Bridge

fiziwig

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Taken a couple days ago from under the east end of the Main Street bridge in Springfield, OR. at Island Park.

7737753818_6fda2375a0_b.jpg

Nicely composed with a lot of pattern to it. First, I have to say that I hate the tint - maybe just subjective because I don't like this color, but you may want to reconsider either the intensity or the color or both. Otherwise, the only thing I might do is crop the top a little. I think the very dark area upper right is larger than it needs to be to balance the dark areas near the lower edge and the pipes are too long and draw too much attention. My suggestion would be to crop the top until the dark area is about the same height as the one on the lower edge. Just my two cents ...

I agree with KenC, the tint doesn't work for me. Other than that I like the image.

Yep...that smartphone tint has to go ;). But I totally love the perspective and the lines and everything. I am not feeling the dark areas though...especially bottom right kinda blows the otherwise great composition. I still like this as an abstract, though. But I would certainly go back and reshoot and avoid the ultra-underexposed areas. Then this image would be mint! Even go the funky HDR rout if your into cheating ;)

Last edited:
Nicely composed with a lot of pattern to it. First, I have to say that I hate the tint - maybe just subjective because I don't like this color, but you may want to reconsider either the intensity or the color or both. Otherwise, the only thing I might do is crop the top a little. I think the very dark area upper right is larger than it needs to be to balance the dark areas near the lower edge and the pipes are too long and draw too much attention. My suggestion would be to crop the top until the dark area is about the same height as the one on the lower edge. Just my two cents ...

Thanks for those observations. Here's another crop, and I got rid of the tint.

2012_08_06_under_bridge_2.jpg

Yep...that smartphone tint has to go ;). But I totally love the perspective and the lines and everything. I am not feeling the dark areas though...especially bottom right kinda blows the otherwise great composition. I still like this as an abstract, though. But I would certainly go back and reshoot and avoid the ultra-underexposed areas. Then this image would be mint! Even go the funky HDR rout if your into cheating ;)

Thanks for those helpful comments. I re-cropped and got rid of some of the dark areas.

The problem with re-shooting is that the picture was taken on a very steep hill under the bridge embankment. To move forward toward the girders also moves me down hill. A foot closer puts me two feet lower down. I can't use zoom to get rid of the dark girder either.

The closest beams are directly over the access road to the parking lot, but the rest of the beams are over open water. The illumination is coming from reflected sunlight off the river below the bridge, so there's no way to bounce the light into the shadow areas. Every place I can physically reach to shoot from is in deep shadow so a bounce card is out and I don't have a flash strong enough to reach the 30 or 40 feet to the first beams either.

So I'm afraid there's some aspects of the shot I can't alter without a scaffold or a camera boom and some better lighting gear.

I like it and I don't mind the tint

Most reactions

New Topics

Back