Under the Milky Way

Nice capture. I would suggest that if you try this again, that you might want to consider "portrait mode" orientation to show more of the Milky Way. I might also be tempted to use the tree part to hide the lights from whatever suburban area is at the bottom of the picture.

WesternGuy

Thank you for the suggestions western, I really appreciate them.

Out of interest when taking such images
Nice capture. I would suggest that if you try this again, that you might want to consider "portrait mode" orientation to show more of the Milky Way. I might also be tempted to use the tree part to hide the lights from whatever suburban area is at the bottom of the picture.

WesternGuy
When taking theses type of images do you just open up to he widest f stop or do you have to get greater DOF to get the foreground and background

Out of interest when taking such images ...edited...

When taking theses type of images do you just open up to he widest f stop or do you have to get greater DOF to get the foreground and background

The closest thing I shoot like this is the Aurora Borealis and I shoot that wide open, but then I am not always worried about a foreground. Where I do worry about a foreground, f/2.8 (16-35mm lens at 16mm) is still able to have it in focus as the foreground is still relatively far away, but still close, when compared to the Aurora.

KmH's point is quite relevant, but a lot depends on how close the "foreground is.

WesternGuy

Most reactions

Back