Under the Trees

Marc Kurth

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Bicycle trail along the beach

925b.jpg

Oh, I want to cycle along that path! Now! This one looks inviting!
But it cries out for some more contrasts, deeper shadows. More real blacks and real whites. The way it is it's all grey.

Oh, I want to cycle along that path! Now! This one looks inviting!
But it cries out for some more contrasts, deeper shadows. More real blacks and real whites. The way it is it's all grey.

You're right, it is mostly mid toned. Take a crack at at it, see what you can do to improve it!

Best,

Marc

I think it could use a bit more contrast too, but I really like it. I would like to see this one done in the summer too.

I appreciate the critique. Feel free to modify it to your liking.

This is how it looks all year round by the way. This is the undergrowth of large old evergreen trees along the coast.

Marc

I appreciate the critique. Feel free to modify it to your liking.

Ok, just a quick 2 minute edit to point you in the direction of what people mean

Adjusted levels, sharpened and burnt the foreground (probably a bit too much).

925b-edit.jpg

Two and a half most basic steps and the missing shadows are there, actually:

Step 1:

MarcKurth_925b_Step1.jpg

Look, how the histogramme doesn't show ANY shadows (lefthand side of the levels), so upping that part from 0 to 25 already does most of "the trick".

Then, following Slaphead's idea, I threw a lasso (feathered at 30) around this part of the edit...

(half step)
MarcKurth_925b_Step2.jpg

... and added another level adjustment layer, and once again that part showed no shadows, so I upped them once again for the selected part from 0 to 30 (if I remember right):

Step 2:
MarcKurth_925b_Step3.jpg

Which leads me to my very quick edit:

MarcKurth_925b_myedit.jpg

This cannot be considered to be any big, extensive "manipulation", can it?

I appreciate the edits folks, it's always good to see different views.

I'm an old B&W film shooter/developer/printer from the late 60's and I have to fight myself to avoid going for too much contrast and blocked up shadows like I did in my novice days. Now I probably tend to overshoot the other way and go for the widest range of grays that I can.

I thank you again for the really great input!

Marc

What a cool place. Must look awesome in the summer.

It would look super cool with a nice layer of fog creeping along the ground, with moisture dripping from the branches. :thumbup:

I really like this picture.
I love picture that lead to me towards the far end.
What i would prefer is if you were a few steps ahead maybe when you took the photo so as to feel a little more inside the trail. it feels to me as if the trail starts right there ahead. i would actually prefer the feeling that i was in the middle of the trail. And i would have to agree that is more on the gray side then black and white as it should be.
how was the light when you took it? was it midday ?

Sorry for the long delay in responding - between work problems and being down with the flu I've been a wreck!

I appreciate the constructive input. I started with a conversion similar conversion but backed up - probably because I often lean toward more smooth tonality in most of my print work. Probably because I'm ancient and I cut my teeth on Panatomic-X a very long time ago :) I really am a high contrast fan though for some images.

Again, I thank you again for investing the time to comment and PP!

Marc

The last edited version is great. Great shot

Most reactions

New Topics

Back